No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this opalescent bowl by Ercole Barovier?  (Read 3821 times)

Offline ElaineB

• Members
Is this opalescent bowl by Ercole Barovier?
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »
Opalescent,swirl footed bowl.It has acanthus-type leaf 'gondola handles' and aventurine/ gold leaf clear ruffled rim.
Good amount of age wear to the base.
I've seen a very similar one (minus the Gondola-type handles) attributed to Ercole Barovier.I will be shortly listing on eBay but,as an honest type of girl,I would like to get this attribution absolutely right.
Any help is very much appreciated,
Elaine.

Offline ElaineB

• Members
Re: Is this opalescent bowl by Ercole Barovier?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »
A wee update:

My original point of reference as quoted in my previous post is here

http://www.gallerynarcisse.com.au/narcissegallery.html#gla

A reputable company trading in Lalique,Bianconi for Venini,Lindstrand for Kosta and other high end names.He has the similar bowl available for sale with price on request.I contacted him and he has kindly given me this reply:

'The Barocchi Footed Bowl by Ercole Barovier is AU$2,300.00. The bowl is opalescent glass with clear glass adventurine (gold leaf) inclusions. The bowl is 28cm in length, 20cm width and 16cm height. The piece is in perfect original condition. This piece is documented. There is a similar example illustrated in 'Ercole Barovier 1889-1974 Vetraio Muranese' page 85. This reference book is out of print and difficult to obtain but it is the major reference source for Ercole Barovier's work.'

I asked him if my bowl appears to be a Barocchi Bowl and he agrees that it does.

Does anyone on the GMB have access to this book by Attilia Dorigato? There IS one available for sale on Amazon at the moment but with a price tag of almost £300 it is a little out of my league.

Hoping that someone can help.
Many thanks,
Elaine

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:07:41 AM »
I am glad that you got an answer. I had the feeling that your thoughts on Barovier were right from the looks of the bowl (a beauty!), but I did not know anything for sure. Thanks for letting us know it is Barovier. I have seen some table pieces that were very similar. I thought they looked Barovier. The sad thing is that I could have bought them for a song -- well, an aria, anyway :-) I think I'll go kick myself.

Some of the books are so expensive. It would be nice if libraries had them, but the interest is too limited, I suppose. The Barovier book is small, so I wonder if it covers all of Ercole's work, or just a sample. Probably just a sample -- he was so prolific.

Beautiful bowl and great attribution!

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ElaineB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »
Hiya Anita,
Libraries round here are very reluctant to lend out these types of book but some good stuff can be found in the reference sections...but I couldn't find this one though.
As for the bowl? I'm a bit stuck as to what to do with it now.I really fancy sticking it on the net but you can never really know what to expect.One of my Archimede Seguso bowls was valued by Bonhams and was to be sold by them but I was too impatient to wait several months for the auction and took a chance by sticking it on eBay.It fetched only a third of the estimate...even though the signature was authenticated and the bowl was in immaculate condition. :cry:
That's all a long time ago now so I think it will be a case of 'Nothing ventured,nothing gained' or,as they say here in Scotland ..."Nay cheek,nay chance!"  ;D
Hopefully Ercole will help me put a few pounds in the Christmas piggy bank!
Anyway,it's auction night tonight,I've got my eye on a few nice things.Wish me luck :chky:
All the Best,
Elaine

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »
Aye, the eBay dilemna is a familiar one. eBay is handy, but final values can be so low and unpredictable. Prices on eBay seem to run 10-25% of the book value for most pieces. The only way I know to protect investment is to set an opening bid that is the lowest price that is acceptable.

I would be tempted to send the bowl to a good auction house. Some of the swirl pieces by Salviati and Barovier do not perform as well as they should on eBay. I think it is because the bidders are not familiar with the swirl pieces. The rigaree and floraform foot may make bidders more confident -- hard to tell.

I hope you are able to get a good price for your bowl.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ElaineB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »
Thanks Anita  ;)

Offline jidoba

• Members
    • Grapenut Glass
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »
I think a lot of people have lost confidence in Murano on Ebay, due to the influx of Russian & Chinese Murano (yes, they actually call it Russian Murano!) It's a good time to buy there, but not to sell.

I had better luck selling my Murano when I had a Ruby Lane store.  :(
Karla

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
You can put a request at the library for an *Interlibrary Loan*.  If ANY library in the world has such a book for lending out (not just for a reference book that stays put), it is possible to get.  I have requested Interlibrary loan books that our library did NOT have. 

They share/loan for client from whatever library has it available for lending.  I have gotten books from the States, England....where ever.  If a library has it for a lending purpose, and your library does not.....ask to put in a request for an Interlibrary loan.....its worth trying.....

If it is not lendable, but the book is somewhere else in the WORLD, the library that has the book will even photocopy the pages that you need....not the complete book, but if you want parts of it...

Also you can ask your library to consider to purchase this book, and put in a request for it, and why the library should get it....they may, or may not...

I know, as at our library, I am the number one Interlibrary loan requester for all types of book - glass, and all sorts of antiques....

You may also wish to go to try an University library, since *FINE ARTS* programs are taught at most Universities...you can give a try.. ;)

Just a suggestion....

Rose
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline ElaineB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »
Good point Karla and That's exactly why I need to get a look at this book.If I can quote a reference it will give people the bidding confidence that they absolutely deserve.It's simply not enough for me just to say "This is Barovier Blah,Blah,Blah...Take my word for it".I spent years studying in the field of Biological Sciences so it's in my nature to investigate,scrutinize and examine everything in great detail...I'm just not the kind of person to pass something off without valid proof.I also need to be sure of what I'm selling as eBay is a world that is so different from the one I used to live in;At Boot Sales or Fairs you can pick up an object and examine it;You can rely on your own judgement or experience to decide whether it is worth the price tag.If I don't know who made it,you can be dam*ed sure that I will unequivocally let you know it....unlike some others.
A wee example...albeit a long winded story:
My Grandmother was the Personal Secretary of Messrs Graham & Morton in Stirling.Now G&M was,in the 60's & 70's in Stirling,your back of beyond Habitat.They sold Peacock chairs and Sanderson fabric in Paisley print,Viners cutlery,Lego and Whitefriars Glass..amongst other things.I remember,as a wee girl,the privilege of walking through the swish doors past huge tanks filled with darting golden fish and glass cabinets of millifiori paperweights in trays that revolved at the push of a green button...to the arms of my grandmother.My parents were only 16 when they discovered that I was on the way but Granny was a liberal woman and made sure that this new family were going to have the best start in life that was absolutely possible.On the 7th February 1970 they were married and a wedding gift of 2 funky,yet impractical,vases were purchased,with staff discount,for the soon-to-be parents.Ten years later my Beloved Mother turfed them out along with my Father...and her wedding ring.
So,what's the point of the story? My Mother filled with woe about this crazed,random act of insanity,felt like she wanted to replace said vases...I replied "You want to try replacing them now?!?!" So I tried. I searched eBay and came across a curious listing for an Art Glass Georgie-Porgie Geoffrey-from-Rainbow Baxter Drunken Brickies-Bum Vase...OK,it maybe was not as ridiculous as that but you're getting my point.So,with this in mind,what chance has anyone got in trying to list something that's the real deal.Absolutely no chance unless they can cite a documented piece.
So where am I now? I've searched everywhere;I've 'Googled' and I've 'Asked',scrupulously searching through every result and every vendor;I've contacted Barovier & Toso (awaiting reply) and tomorrow I'll start my search within the UK library system.If I must,I will add to my collection of books;My Father ended up relatively successful before he shook off his mortal coil at only 54 years and he left me at least enough money to buy the book should it be absolutely necessary.If anyone ever needs a 'Look-up'...Well,I'll be more than willing to help  :)
All the best,
E

Offline Beth

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
Hello, I saw this on ebay and it looks just like your bowl 170160669120 Hope this helps you!

Beth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand