No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart ginger jar on Ebay  (Read 4196 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Monart ginger jar on Ebay
« on: October 14, 2004, 03:10:27 PM »
:? The above is being sold with a part label which the seller says bears a 'no lid' inscription - is this wishful thinking? or is it likely to be genuine?

Has anyone out there got similar 'individual' items which may have been sold incomplete??

Regards,

Cfosterk

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:32:22 PM »
I have never heard of a 'No Lid' inscription and I consider it a little starnge. However, I have come across additional inscriptions such as "Lamp Standard" and "Special" so it is not completely unbelievable.

Maybe it was a replacement order for someone whose Ginger Jar had got damaged. Due to the way Monart was made and sold, the only way of getting a replacement would be to have it made to order.

Unfortunately the photographs are so poor that I could not recognise the handwriting  :? actually I could not even see the writing!

I suggest you chase the seller to get a decent picture of the label, perhaps even join in this thread. Even a photocopy of the bottom would be better! I will chase the seller myself but that will have to wait as I have had a long tough day.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Monart ginger jar on ebay: Item number: 3754871154
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 05:55:50 PM »
Frank,

Thanks for the helpful comments.

The seller has been in touch - but has been unable to photograph what is apparently an indistinct/worn inscprition.

He is going to follow your helpful suggestion and photocopy the base. I let you know what happens.

The text is apparently in upper case (i presume this means capitals) and seems to have been written in black fountain pen....

It has been written diagonally under the M of Monart Glass and follows the sweep of the M - I don't know if this might be typical???  

Thanks again.

This is a fantastic site by the way - I didn't know it existed until I tried doing some research on the internet!!!

I will be a regular viewer and will try to contribute to discussion threads - although I have limited collecting experience...

Ian Hampton

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:47:01 PM »
hi!!

Sorry to take so long to reply.

I actually bought it - at £80ish it seemed good value.

The script on the base is exactly  the same hand as the illustration in the Ysart book - so I'm delighted with what turned out to a speculative purchase.    And although a novice to this I am convinced that the 'amended' part label is genuine.

I think it worked to my advantage that no decent photo of the label could be taken!!!

I saw an interesting item at a Harrogate fair a couple of weeks ago - an unlabelled but obvious Monart vase in a really deep violet/purple on white?? it was really quite a strange but mesmerising colour contrast...

I just wish i'd bought this (at only £220 which was probably negotiable...)

Kind regards,

Ian H

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »
an inner white white trailing violet and even bubble decorations - it was amazing!

I now have a copy of the 'recent' large monart sale and there is similar example illustrated in green/purple/white (i think thats the combination!!)

the fair will return this next month - i may try out my negotating skills!!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 04:45:51 PM »
Generally the white and other colour linings are assumed to be early production based on labelled examples only being found with Ware labels. Some were probably made later though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand