No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl i.d.  (Read 2217 times)

Offline malc57

• Members
Bowl i.d.
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
Hi

Bought this bowl at auction a few days ago and was wondering does anyone know who the designer might be and which area it hails from

Any info greatly appreciated

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Bowl i.d.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »
Any chance of a close up pic of the label?  Also a base shot might help someone to ID it.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
I would say Murano on the Yellow Sea or at least mainland Italy. I say two of these in an "antique centre" the other week. They have roughly ground bottoms and a red and gold label that says
Murano Glassware
Crystal Clear
Made in Italy

Whatever they are, they are pretty brand new and only of value as decorative items.

Offline malc57

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
Once again, thank you for your input

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
My answer sounded a bit curt, it wasn't meant to be, I was posting during my short lunch break. There is a lot of glass masquerading as Murano. Made in Italy invariably means it's almost certainly not made in Murano. It might be made in Italy somewhere but there is also a lot of Chinese glass that is supposedly, according to the label, made elsewhere.

The Muranese are very proud of their traditions and put Made in Murano on their labels. It's a minefield out there because even Made in Murano is no guarantee. The word Murano without the Made in often means it's not from Murano, just Murano-style (if there is such a thing).

These bowls are not badly made but the label along with a base that looks like it's been shown the coarsest grinding wheel (plus the fact that I found two side by side) flash red warning signals.

Pix taken indoors on new phone so a bit wobbly

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »
I have just posted exactly the same item ... so 2 in an antique centre, mine and this ... and crate load more from China! "You wana buy DVD!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand