No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just bragging - what I bought today!  (Read 18242 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Just bragging - what I bought today!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:01:56 PM »
Nice pieces Tim. I have a penchant for the Four Flowers Variant. It is an enigma...and I love a mystery!

Just a brief note to clarify a point that is often misunderstood. The eBay auction that Lynne mentioned states it is for a Dugan Four Flowers Variant bowl. That's a contradiction in terms. Dugan made the Four Flowers pattern. It was copied by the Swedes and Finns, who made a pattern that is identical, but usually different in colour to that produced by Dugan. The Scandinavian/Nordic examples are very seldom seen.

Then there is the Four Flowers Variant - which is what Tim has. The maker is not confirmed, but I suspect it was made in Europe (possible England). I do not have proof absolute. I've spent considerable time researching this pattern, and you can read a few bits below.

Article based on the presentation and display we did at the Carnival Glass Socitey (UK) in 2005
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/FFV.html

Article where I try (probably in vain) to dispel a myth or two
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/MythFFV.html

Old article on wwwcga's website where I wrote about a survey I did into "finds" of the Four Flowers Variant.
http://www.carnivalglass.org/education/fourflower/index.asp

Thanks Glen - with no pic, I had to work on just the words, and didn't realise that it was ambiguous...  Very interesting articles as ever!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »
Hi Lynne - it was a good auction link that you gave, as it illustrated the point perfectly. The ambiguity seems entrenched within Carnival collecting, and it is an uphill battle to get the message out. I often read eBay auctions that have the whole thing muddled up (e.g. Four Flowers Variant by Eda Glasbruks....and I want to shout "NOOOOOOOOOO").  :o

EDITED TO ADD:
Here's another typical mix-up. It shows a Sunflower & Diamond vase. The one in this auction is a Brockwitz example in the fairly common size and colour. It is not the rare Eda version (which is what the seller thinks).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290178271044
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
I picked up this little Pineapple pattern creamer, i'm well pleased  ;D

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 07:11:23 PM »
Hi Lynne - it was a good auction link that you gave, as it illustrated the point perfectly. The ambiguity seems entrenched within Carnival collecting, and it is an uphill battle to get the message out. I often read eBay auctions that have the whole thing muddled up (e.g. Four Flowers Variant by Eda Glasbruks....and I want to shout "NOOOOOOOOOO").  :o

EDITED TO ADD:
Here's another typical mix-up. It shows a Sunflower & Diamond vase. The one in this auction is a Brockwitz example in the fairly common size and colour. It is not the rare Eda version (which is what the seller thinks).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290178271044

And here's another one that seems to have various misunderstandings in it based on what you have said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260178164416

Dugan Variant.. no, not Dugan.

David Doty's site said it was made FOR DUGAN in Europe.  No he didn't ... he said it was different to the Dugan and was made in Europe...

Green is rare.... is it?  Where?

I find sad that someone has bothered to do the research, and then can't get it right from the research site...?

and ohmigod.... please please please don't anyone copy the Caps Style of auction listing....

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
Thanks Glen - I knew it was complicated, but at least I did remember that it wasn't Dugan ;).  What I find strange is that these two pieces jumped into my car in the same week when I have gone months without finding any nice Carnival locally at all :-\.  At the same carboot a couple of months ago there was a trader with a near pair of blue Northwood Treetrunk vases (about 10") with all manner of chips, scratches etc, hardly any irridizing left on them - and he wanted £100 for them :o.  At a boot fair!

Emmi, did you find that must have then???

Lynne  - that last one you found does worry me, apart from the wrong attribution, that awful block CAPS and the disclaimer about not being experts - they say it has a  "GREAT IRRIDIZED FINISH WITH MINOR AGE CRAZING ON THE BACK ONLY".  Okay I don't know that much about Carnival (only got 150 or so pieces 8)) but I don't think that it crazes with age?!  So what is wrong with it?  All I can see on the photos are a few manufacturing lines (straw marks)....

Tim
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »
 :cry: :cry: Nope, nothing:nada : zilch:.....it's been a thin week here. Emmi

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 08:49:38 PM »
:cry: :cry: Nope, nothing:nada : zilch:.....it's been a thin week here. Emmi

Better luck next week :).  Try a trip up here, for once Norfolk/Suffolk seems to be providing some nice finds >:D.  Perhaps it is making up for me missing out on Cambridge Glass Fair this autumn (though my dad appears to have bought half the W/F that was there :-X.).

Tim
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 08:53:19 PM »
Tim, did you happen to get to the 20th Century Design sale at Gazes at the weekend?  I couldn't get up and there looked to be some lovely things....  :cry:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 09:12:52 PM »
Tim, did you happen to get to the 20th Century Design sale at Gazes at the weekend?  I couldn't get up and there looked to be some lovely things....  :cry:

Erm...er...Yes!  That is where some of these came from ::).  Well I am only 5 miles away...  The Whitefriars was going for silly money, some examples;

Kingfisher TV vase £200
Kingfisher hooped vase £240

and a pair of damaged (one quite badly) Cenedese "Aquarium" bookends went for £160 :o.  But I got the Dartington that I really wanted (and finished up with the Sowerby posy bowl, Sklo Union vase, another unidentified which I haven't got round to posting yet and this green swirly vase by Ourglass (helpfully clearly signed ;)) as well.

Tim
Tim

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Tim - you're right that Carnival doesn't "craze" with age. The marks on the exterior of that Four Flowers Vt bowl are actually rather typical for the pattern. They are features of the pressed glass manufacturing process. They're not "straw" (shear) marks though (there is only one of those on a piece and it would be on the interior).
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand