No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Experts - Did I miss out on something great?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Murano Experts - Did I miss out on something great?
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:46:54 PM »
I was sooooo close to sniping this vase today, because it looked like it could be some really good Murano glass. I chickened out because I just didn't know enough to be sure, and the pontil was giving me trouble. What do you think? Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/ypww78
Shannon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Murano Experts - Did I miss out on something great?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Ok, I think I figured out what excited me about this vase. It reminds me of the Barovier and Toso Barbarico vases shown on pages 24-25 of Leslie Pina's Circa Fifties Glass. Please tell me it's not, or I will cry!  :cry:
Shannon

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »
i thought that same thing when i first saw this vase - a few months ago, when i bought it.  :chky:

i don't know if it's barbarico, or even vintage Murano (it's not marked and i haven't been able to find anything else with the exact finish or shape). it's a heavy, well-crafted piece and i like it (even though my husband hates it ha ha). it seems to me that most barbarico has the texture applied to a transparent base glass (the base glass of this vase is aventurine infused black).

the ebay auction archives don't last long, so i'll attach a link to mine (which i think you'll agree is almost identical) ;)
http://www.glasscache.com/GC_ProdGallery.asp?pid=1593&rid=8

i hope someone comes by that knows more about it :)

bidda

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »
Well, I already know we have similar taste, since you frequently outsnipe me on the same ebay items.  :o Hopefully great minds think alike on this one...? That would be great if someone could confirm or refute this as Murano glass and/or Barbarico. At any rate, like you said, it sure is a nice piece. I literally set up my snipe and walked away, then came back and deleted it.  ::)
Shannon

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:17:01 AM »
The vase is not Barbarico. Sorry.
It is a newer type vase. I have seen plenty of them on Ebay this year and last.

Javier - svazzo
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand