No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dog inkwells and design numbers  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Dog inkwells and design numbers
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:44:57 PM »
Last week I watched this auction end for Regd No 60785 Czecho Slovokia  (On metal hinged collar)

Tonight I saw another auction and hunted out the old auction they were different! RN 719074 (On glass)

So I did a search and found this auction and yet another number  :o REGD. NO. 69109 / CZECHOSLOVAKIA (On metal hinged collar)

I expect two of the designs refer to the hinged metal but one at least for the glass! Just struck me as a strange coincidence.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A pair of charming, comical Bonzo dog glass inkwells, approximately 3½ inches tall. In clear glass with painted / enamelled facial details. They have Bonzo's name in raised lettering on the back of his head between his ears, and registration number 719074 underneath the collar. They have a hinged metal band to form his collar, allowing the head to tilt back to reveal the small well for ink in his body. The collars are impressed CZECHOSLOVAKIA. The collar on one inkwell has a silvery plating, and the collar on the other inkwell is copper-coloured.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by greatbarrkaz).

Bonzo was a famous ‘Sketch’ cartoon dog created by George E. Studdy. Bonzo first appeared in 1922.

According to
http://www.bonzo.me.uk/glass.html
“There were many images of Bonzo reproduced in glass - scent bottles, inkwells, ashtrays, powder bowls, etc.  The majority of these were made under licence in Czechoslovakia in the later 1920s & 30s, some even having registered numbers on them.” – [my emphasis].

The site also shows three versions of the Bonzo inkwell - clear, frosted and purple glass.

RD 719704 is not listed in http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos08.htm presumably as the registration would be for a bottle. The registration should be in March 1926.

Hence the refrain …is RD 719704 in the Blue book, please? If so, can a kind GMB member let me have the precise registration details?

I have alread posted a message at http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52937.msg300646.html#msg300646
about a related black opaque glass perfume bottle in the shape of the cartoon cat character “Oolo” (created by George E. Studdy in January 1929 as a replacement for his famous ‘Sketch’ cartoon dog “Bonzo”). The Ooloo bottle was from RD 748794, and this number too was missing from
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos08.htm
and neither was it in the Blue Book.

In the case of Oolloo, Paul S. came up trumps again  - the registration details were absent for the common reason of having been Registered as CLASS 4, and that the  registrant is the creator, George Ernest Studdy, with a London address.

I think it is pretty likely that the Bonzo inkwells will fit into a similar pattern (Class 4, with Studdy as registrant), but I have never previously seen any confirmation. I will add the Bonzo inkwell RD 719704 details to the GMB RD look-up requests, and hopefully Paul will be able to check the registration details at TNA sometime (possibly with Studdy’s design representations as a bonus). 

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
regret you're out of luck again Fred  -  neither 719704 or 719074 are in the Blue Book...................been drinking again have we ;D

Let me know which and I'll look when I go to TNA early next week.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Sorry about the 'dyslexic' typo transposition of the digits in the RD number, Paul.

I can confirm that the 'correct' RD number on the inkwells is that in the topic header and the initial  description - RD 719074.

I look forward to seeing the details from TNA in due course.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
another CLASS 4 registration  -  and looks like the original picture was of a clay type model.

Archive references are.......   Representation  BT 52/1145         .......   and the Register   BT 53/51.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Paul.

Confirms exactly what I had suspected, but still nice to see the charming prototypes.

Deletion of RD 719074 from the GMB RD lookup request list will be requested forthwith.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand