No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candlestick - could this be Italian? Florentine? or Chinese?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Whole view of candlestick... http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-204
Closeup of base... http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-205

About 5" tall, and the base is 3" in diameter. No sign of wear on the bottom. Any ideas as to age and maker please?

Any thoughts on this one please? Is it contemporary? I'd love to be able to know where it's from...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

Candlestick - could this be Italian? Florentine? or Chinese?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:35:08 AM »
Anne - Your pictures are a little dark on my monitor but from what I can see I say Italian.

The twist stem and how it attaches to the clear ball looks identical to the twist stem glasses which some one  :?:  posted here and most agreed were generic Italian, not Murano.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 03:33:16 PM »
I have no idea at all other than a few comments:

1. It seems to be made in probably three main parts - moulded stem with applied hand-formed foot and with either a hand-worked or pressed "holder" section

2. The "holder" section appears to be of a clearer glass than the tinted other parts.

3. The loop handles seem to me to be rather out of proportion to the rest of the piece.

Very odd!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 01:06:04 AM »
Connie, thanks for your thoughts... I feel it's Italian rather than Murano also. The stem reminds me of the glasses which (I think it was Ivo who said) were Florence/Empoli rather than Venice/Murano.

Kev, It is made in three main parts as you say. The holder and the ball below it are perfectly clear and appear to be made from one piece of glass. There are no mould marks at all. The bottom of the clear part which is inside the coloured twisted part is a sort of pointed ovoid shape - by holding it up to a light I can see the edge of the clear glass.  The twisted stem/foot and the handles are a light amethyst colour.. All the glass is very "clean" looking (this is the only way I can describe it... not dull looking at all).

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts so far. It's still a mystery, but may now be an Italian mystery.  :lol:  (BTW If you click the larger picture it opens a slightly larger one again - good to see more detail.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand