No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay madness??  (Read 1848 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Ebay madness??
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »
There was a cracking Baccarat close-packed weight on ebay - just sold for £487.00 BUT the extent of the damage was significant.

I tried to get more pictures from the seller and they didn't respond. I suspect that there is internal fracturing to the glass as a result of the significant (can i call it a) bruise.

Okay, so from a dealer is reasonable condition you might expect a price tage of £1200 maybe more but almost £500 for a severely damaged piece - in the words of V. Meldrew Esq "I don't believe it!"

See what you all think....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190169240156

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Ebay madness??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:12:11 PM »
I thought it worth bidding £250 given the extensive damage! The winner must be confident of being able to remodel it (or foolhardy)!

Regards

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »
One of the problems with ebay is that you might have to bid on things on spec! The reluctance of the seller to provide more details of photo's meant i didn't bid at all. It displays well, but I think the damage is irrepairable.

I really hope I'm proved wrong...

Even if the buyer can get the weight worked on, it looks like a significant amount of glass would need to be removed, and the refractive qualities of the glass significantly effected...

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
If you can afford it, but not the same pristine (IF it could be found) why not. It is a lovely weight and you are unlikely to lose money on it.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:27:36 PM »
Is a quarter of the "usual price" really so high for a weight with so many examples of superb Baccarat canes? After all, people are often these days paying proportionately much higher percentages for quite regular, and often imperfect, Ysart items which, although they may have some academic interest, are not yet even antique.

KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:06:11 AM »
If you look at the basal wear ring you can see that the frosted ring stops at the break area - which I interpreted to mean that a large chip came off there and yet still there is that large star shatter area. My read was that it would be very difficult to repair fully.

And there is another one out there as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330186164468

which if you look at the last photo and the right side "bruise" it sure looks like a large internal fissure to me.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
monjeur!!

this second piece is, if anything, more interesting if a little later. Nice variety of silhoette canes and signed/dated! damage appears significantly less, and the seller has provided much more detail.

My criticism such that it was related to the extent of the damage - i suppose if the seller had been more helpful a better judgement would have been possible. It just seemed such a leap in the dark... 

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
Can't aford this one myself, thought I'd mention it at £150 buy it now - 320181727083 
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
The third weight in this thread appears to be very late bacarrat, or more likely 'baccarat dupont' - probably made either in the late 1870's or 1920/30's. Your guess will be as good as mine!

Fair start price looks a little pricey at buy it now, but NOT excessively so.... more pertinently accurately described!! If only more ebayers were as 'accurate'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand