No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another POSSIBLE Fratelli Toso?  (Read 7043 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Another POSSIBLE Fratelli Toso?
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:32:55 AM »
 :chky: Hi, I have this bowl that is scalloped.  One of the scalloped edges is flipped in.  I believe it to be Murano, and possibly Fratelli Toso. 

I did find a picture like it in "Leslie Pina book -- Fifties Glass" - Page 54, quote: "Scalloped bowl, black glass internally decorated...encased in a clear glass, with one of the 12 rim scallops folded inward, unsigned, in the Collection of Shirley Friedland."

I had always referred to this as a black bowl, but ONLY today did I hold it up to the light, and believe it to be the color *Amethyst*, rather than Black....learn something new all the time.  Does this color make a difference at all ?  Please Advise.

Am I correct/incorrect?  Any info as age, confirmation of maker, color, and value?  Or any other input at all  :-\

Thanking you in advance...

antiquerose123 (rose)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Another POSSIBLE Fratelli Toso?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:57:52 AM »
Most black glass isn't black at all Rose, it's actually very dark purple. Holding up to a strong light source you can see the purple colour, but normally it will look black.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
Had this pic in here from before, so I resized this one better, for a bigger pix.....this is how I should MUST do from now on....lol

Better...much better...

Rose

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:14:17 PM »
The pictures worked!  :chky: :chky: :hiclp: :hiclp: :chky: :hiclp: :chky: :hiclp: :chky: :hiclp:

Well done AR!  ;D

Carolyn

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
Just thought I would also mention I got this for .50 cents at a garage sale here.  This is the piece that started it all.  When I saw -- I thought I sure did not need a bowl.....but for .50 cents (it was so beautiful) I had to buy it.

So be it...now I am always searching for more Murano... ;)

Rose (antiquerose)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 06:49:22 PM »
I don't know who made it, but I did see a similar one on ebay. The ebay one is listed as Barovier or Seguso, but looks more like F. Toso to me, though I could be wrong. Item number 320196361834.
Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »
I don't think the bowl is Fratelli Toso. I saw a bowl like this that still had a label a little while back. Unfortunately, I can't remember which label it was now. If I remember right, the label was Italy, but not Murano.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:41:57 PM »
I did find a picture like it in "Leslie Pina book -- Fifties Glass" - Page 54, quote: "Scalloped bowl, black glass internally decorated...encased in a clear glass, with one of the 12 rim scallops folded inward, unsigned, in the Collection of Shirley Friedland."     End of Quote.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 01:14:38 AM »
Rose, The bowl in Pina (it's on p. 49 in my edition) is a similar shape but made differently, with canes and bits of murrhines. Two pages further on there is one, which, although not the same shape, is more like yours in spirit. It might be where Anita saw the label "Made in Italy."

It would be interesting to start a thread posting the fist piece of Murano, or glass, each of us bought.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 04:42:45 AM »
Rose, The bowl in Pina (it's on p. 49 in my edition) is a similar shape but made differently, with canes and bits of murrhines. Two pages further on there is one, which, although not the same shape, is more like yours in spirit. It might be where Anita saw the label "Made in Italy."

It would be interesting to start a thread posting the fist piece of Murano, or glass, each of us bought.

David

Yes, the one book where I referr to page 54, was printed in like 1993 or something.  I just got a newer version of the same book here tonite, and this same pic I referred to in the 1993 book date (page 54) is the same pic as the one in the newer book ( Fifties Glass Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition - Leslie Pina - 2000) the picture is on page 49.  I am looking at the exact book you are referring to right now (the same year/edition).  It is all the same pic, just an older version of the book....but lets both refer to the newest Edition now, that I have right in front of me....

The picture on page 51 ( Fifties Glass Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition - Leslie Pina - 2000) is a "four lobed bowl - Black glass with polychrome swirls and copper metallic inclusions."  While the one on page 49 is "a scalloped bowl....encased in clear glass with one of 12 rim scallops folded inward."

So even though my bowl has copper swirls in it (as in pic on page 51)......To me...the style/shape are more in line with the design/style/shape of the one on page 49 with the scalloped edges, with one folded inward.

It's like the two, mashed together to make mine....scalloped bowl, with one rim folded inward, but with aventurine swirls in the design.....

Gosh.....this is confusing......HELP.  You are right. 

Now for another question (maybe stupid one)...what is the difference between amythest, and Black amythest...is amythest not purple?  As I just discovered I thought this bowl was black, but when you hold it up to the light, it is amythest......now is that just amythest, or what is called Black Amythest. 

I have another Leslie Pina book here called Purple Glass, and in the cover she refers to two different types of Amythest, as in purple, and as in Black.... :spls:  How do you tell which amythest is which????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand