No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Cobalt Blue et al Jug - Got some concerns  (Read 1613 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Large Cobalt Blue et al Jug - Got some concerns
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
Hi all greetings from down under!

Here I go again, Chris has offered me a jug he has for sale. After selling me the gold and blue bowl I think he knows I am a soft touch for murano glass.

I am not as smitten as I was with the bowl.

My concerns are:

1. Who made it? he has no idea and neither do I.

2. There are no scratches on the bottom to show age, only a scratch on the side of the bottom of the jug. I am concerned that this may be a repro. Apart from the scratch it shows no age marks at all.

3. It has bubbles in the glass from the base up but mainly in the base. See attached photo's

Do any of you have any ideas about this piece?

It is 350mm (14") high. 200mm (8") wide. 220 mm (8 3/4") from lip to back of handle. Weight 3.9 kilo's (8.8lbs)

Thanks for all your help with my addiction.

Bob (ardy)

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Large Cobalt Blue et al Jug - Got some concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
it is very flamboyant but I would range it under Chinese contemporary - the matt polished bottom is quite distinctive and unitalian.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:37:16 PM »
I agree with Ivo. The colors are very vivid -- a definite red flag. I believe I have seen this pitcher or vase several times on eBay in the past being marketed in a way that would embarrass a good piece of art glass. I think it is a pretty vase if the price reflects its true value. I do not think it is good Murano.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
There are some for sale on eBay now. One listing I located in 230189464093. A listing is worth a thousand words. ;) Some of these vases are very pretty and I know the artisans are talented. One day down the road they may be worth a lot of money, but I don't know if any of us will be alive then.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:16:58 PM »
Hi All

glad I didnt rush into this one. It didn't feel right but it is very heavy and quite well made. Amazing that they can make something like this and sell it for peanuts.

regards to all

Bob
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »
BTW Chris sends his regards as well. He was going to trade off some of his framing work to obtain this jug and you have saved him from a loss.

regards

Bob
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »
Many of these contemporary vases are very pretty. Many have some deficiencies in the details, but are still okay. The thing that gives people a bad taste for these vases, I believe, is not the vases themselves, but the marketing strategies used to sell them. The listing given above didn't make any false claims about the vase, so can't really be faulted for that. It is apparent that the price of the vase plus shipping cost is $30 US. So the seller must consider $20 ($10 for shipping) a good price for the vase.

Glad that a little information might have saved you and Chris some money.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:38:53 PM »
Hi Anita

I think you are right. If they were sold as art glass and were not attempting to be something they are not then I might be tempted myself.

I'm not so precious as to consider all my glass as an investment. Most of the stuff I buy is just because I like it. I have found a measure of pleasure in that. (Poetic hint planned)

regards

Bob
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand