No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual A. Seguso (?) Vase  (Read 1278 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Unusual A. Seguso (?) Vase
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »
Can someone help me to identify this vase?  It has three large vertical bands with fine gold dust inclusions (difficult to see in photos) and especially interesting and unique opening at the top.  It's about 10 inches tall and has base wear suggesting age (1950s?). I'm guessing A. Seguso, but can't find it in any references.  Thanks.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Unusual A. Seguso (?) Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »
It certainly looks like a Archimede Seguso design. This type of glass is called sfumato in Leslie Pina's book on Archimede Seguso and polveri in some internet stores. I am not sure which of the terms -- or both -- are correct for the vase.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Unusual A. Seguso (?) Vase
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »
Thanks for the info., which leads me to conclude that it is, in fact, an A. Seguso piece, circa 1953.  Lucky me! :hiclp:  It's always nice to kick up the collection a notch.

Does anyone know the name of the particular series, and whether these pieces are relatively common or rare?  I did see a taller one with red and clear (but not black) bands that sold at a Rago auction for an astounding $2,000.

Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand