No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please identify this latticino/filligrana/? bowl  (Read 1722 times)

Offline sirenbrian

• Members
Please identify this latticino/filligrana/? bowl
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:09:42 PM »
Hello everyone,
Last time I was here, TXSilver very kindly identified a vase for me.  At yesterday's auction I was half paying attention when they started taking bids on this bowl.  I could see from across the room that it had the same fine twisting lattice work that the vase had, so I bought the bowl too.  Here are some pictures - it's exactly 10 inches in diameter.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Please identify this latticino/filligrana/? bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:31:41 PM »
Could you describe the pontil for us?

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06:14 AM »
BTW, I get the feeling that the dish may be either by Fratelli Toso or Seguso. Any other ideas?

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline sirenbrian

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »
The pontil is polished smooth and is about 1/2" wide - it's barely there.

Offline sirenbrian

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
At the auction last night I bought a box of books, among which was "Fifties Glass" by Leslie Pina.  There were several pictures of Zanfirico latticework and the bowl looked very, very similar to that.  I think I'll call that a "close enough for jazz" and will list it on eBay soon - thanks to everyone who had suggestions :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »
It may take a while for someone to come in that recognizes the bowl and has seen a label. The latticino/zanfirico pieces have been made by several companies and look so similar to each other that it can be difficult to give a definite attribution unless one has seen the exact design. Your bowl looks like very good quality. Your description of the pontil also lets us know it was carefully made. Latticino will normally sell well without a definite attribution. Many people collect latticino. With Thanksgiving coming up next week in the US, I would definitely put a safe opening bid on the bowl. Bidding can be unpredictable around the holidays.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline sirenbrian

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:40:28 AM »
Thanks TXSilver :) I have created the listing - I pulled a figure of $75 out of the air to get started, I hope somebody goes for it :)

Moderator: Link to your live sale removed. Please post links to your live sales in the Market Place only, not the discussion forums, thanks. :)

Offline sirenbrian

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:59:14 AM »
Sorry about that, I'll do so in future.

Someone wrote to me after I started the auction and said this looked like a "Steven & Williams" plate made between 1890 and 1920. He/she said the clear glass and thickness (1/8th inch) at the edge hinted at an English origin instead. I'm completely at sea now :) so I'm leaving it to the eBay gods of fortune to tell me what it's value is :) I'm attaching pictures of the edge and pontil, if that's any help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand