No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A selection of Oberglas vases - some iridised, some not  (Read 10153 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
A selection of Oberglas vases - some iridised, some not
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 04:25:45 PM »
Yes Anne - the vase on the left is the one I named (a year or two ago) as "Cascades". It is known in two sizes in marigold iridescent. Oberglas for sure  :lol:

Sorry, can't help with the others.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 06:47:31 PM »
<whistles>  I just sit here behind my computer waiting for you to identify my mystery items - here you managed to ID half a dozen, including flower vases, ice buckets, ash trays, peanut bowls and items of a less salubrious nature  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Ivo Unlogged

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 09:51:23 PM »
HI Glen,

Thanks Ivo for reviving this thread. I didn't see it the first time it came around. It's good to know where the wannabes come from!

All the original Tinypics have disappeared for me. Would there be any chance that you could re-post those in the album Anne has made available for pictures?

Cheers!

Cathy

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 12:38:27 AM »
Hi Glen

Davidson Luna range c.1971 would be your moulded squared off vase with wavy textured surface - at the W/F board we have been attributing these for a while, there are ones with labels and everything if you go to section 'Mistaken Identites' - there is a picture on that board of about 30 all different vivid colours and many two tone colour combinations - as they say on that board they can look stunning at a low cost

I like to stay calm in the face of arrogance, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this board doesn't bow to the opinion of just one person - the Luna glass range is becoming ever more polular, let’s remember that expensive items like my Riihimaen Pironki vase was moulded and not exactly finished fantastically, you can see the mould lines and everything duhhh!!

As for your other bits - I cannot open some of the pics, but the pink bit is really interesting with the textured sides and that iridized finish almost gilded looking - many items like this were initially formed in a mould then hand finished (like some Riihimaen), this does not seem to have any lines to the sides that a mass produced moulded piece would have and as you say care has been taken to polish the base - is the rim polished as well, I can’t open that picture –

I can't open the Marigold pic you say is the Stolze Oberglas company, you could ask them as they are still going http://www.stoelzle.com/en/unternehmen/index.html - I think Peter already mentions this, you could also mention that a certain published glass aficionado thinks they are 'bottom feeders' LOL (this is a joke btw)

The two clear glass vases look like Davidson again – the clear glass vase in the round pictured next to the Davidson Luna, I have seen attributed to Riihimaen on other sites and in some books, not hard to see why it’s very Helena Tynell – I have bit exactly like it but square shape – again so what if it’s mould blown

Nice little collection of well designed items showing you don’t have to be a name or label snob to have affordable collection of  50s – 70s glass

Thanks for showing it

Adam D555 :twisted:  :?  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 09:18:44 AM »
Adam/David 555, thank you for the 101 on my vases. Actually I began my entire range of queries on the first two vases, about 5 or 6 years ago. These are the marigold iridised bubbly one and the amethyst iridised square one. Photo below.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5851

I began with Davidson experts, who said "not Davidson". I then went to Whitefriars collectors - who all said "not Whitefriars". I let it rest for a while, pondering, and in the interim also purchasing a second marigold vase in a smaller size.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5852

Then came the enlightenment. A twin to my vase bearing the Oberglas, Austria label (and yes, yes I have written to them - several times - but not received a reply yet - thing is I don't actually have endless hours at my disposal).

So that's the history. The marigold bubbly vases are Oberglas.

The amethyst (pink) one is called "Four Sided Treetrunk". It is also known in green with a light iridescence. I didn't say the base had been polished. It is the rim that has been ground and polished. The base is moulded and not ground in any way. There are two mould seams on diametrically opposite long edges.  My understanding of glass making is that many items were initially "formed in a mould and then hand finished" (as you said).

I believe, based on the many similarities, that the amethyst one is also Oberglas. Here are a couple more photos of this one.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5850
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5849

I don't think the clear glass one with the greek key design is from Riihimaki (see below). The motif has been used by many makers. It has more characteristics in common with the Oberglas items. I will mark the green/yellow one (below) down as Davidson's Luna.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5848

Just one quick question - you said:
I like to stay calm in the face of arrogance, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this board doesn't bow to the opinion of just one person
I hope you weren't thinking that I was "the face of arrogance"?

Thanks
Glen

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 09:50:22 PM »
Davidson Luna range c.1971 would be your moulded squared off vase with wavy textured surface - at the W/F board we have been attributing these for a while, there are ones with labels and everything if you go to section 'Mistaken Identites'

Adam I'm sure Chris Stewart  of http://www.davidson-glass.com will be interested to see the labeled Davidson piece(s). I have had a look there and can't tell which are labelled could you point us to it (them ?).

Mod: see http://www.cloudglass.com/Gallerypostwar.htm

A quick look through www.whitefriars.com 'Mistaken Identites' section   throws up quite a few which are still mistaken: Mdina which isn't, the same vase attributed to Davidson and Oberglas, Humppila attributed to Timo Sarpaneva etc. Those attributions have come from posters opinions so the mistakes are understandable and I believe I read that the problem has been recognised on the Whitefriars board but understandably their focus is Whitefriars.
Pete

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 11:48:42 PM »
Hi Glen

I think the vases you have re-posted are really lovely - they may be Oberglas or not, I would love to see a label - in fact I am going to email a guy at the factory soon - is it OK if I use your pics - can't promise anything, but it's a nice little project?

After seeing the pink and marigold bubbly vase I am a bit more inclined to place the clear textured piece with Greek key decoration with the same manufacturer

It is interesting that the rims are finished off by hand and I think we agree these three bits are mould blown, hand finished

LOL - Glen I see your posts, you are never arrogant - that paragraph was a wee joke/stab at the poster who called your items bottom feeders or their attribution to Oberglas

Your two oblong clear vases I am now not so sure of and the wavy textured vase I have my doubts is by Davidson - Luna range was made to celebrate the moon landing and the texturing is much tighter, if at all had a foil label with 'Hand Made Crystal' - sometimes the importer name was added - I see in your original thread you attribute to Oberglas, I looked at the thread and can't see an absolute conclusion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter I have asked the guys at The Davidson site about modern Davidson glass before and they are limited and their main interest is Cloud glass & 1930s

However

The Davidson site does have one page with pieces of Luna http://www.cloudglass.com/Gallerypostwar.htm - the oblong vases have a tighter texture and are not as wavey, the shape, base and rim are similar but I now see the difference in the surface, when I think it is that surface I have seen labelled rather than the wavey one Glen has and on the w/f board, that just can't be seen as a luna surface to me, more like waves at sea - there is one on that page with a 'Brama' label, red and gold with the Davidson Lion

I do agree that W/F board 'not/is' and 'mistaken identities' is a joke (sorry to fellow members) they have attributed items of mine to Monart when they are clearly not - I don't like the way they stick a big red opinion/attribution on the item

The Luna range and the wavey vases (not sure they are Oberglas) and the Jones & co vases are very similar, thing is dealers peel the labels off to try and sell as W/F bark vases

Can you or Ivo try and get me a piece like Glen's supposed Oberglas pieces with a label - do they actually say 'Oberglas Bottom Feeder' on them

: Wink: wink: wink:

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 07:09:10 AM »
Adam-David, my "Cascades" vases don't have labels, more's the pity. However, I have seen examples of the vases with labels. The most recent one that I saw and handled belonged to a Carnival collector friend of mine. His mother had actually found the vase while on holiday in Austria.  I can 100% verify that the "Cascades" vases have been found with Oberglas labels.

Yes, you can show our photos to Oberglas - hope it helps.

Re. the greek key style clear glass vase, I feel it is almost certainly the same maker on account of the base. The moulded pattern on the flat base is a most unusual characteristic - and the amethyst vase ("Four Sided Treetrunk") and the marigold "Cascades" vases all share this interesting feature. These are the ones that I feel fairly confident about attributing to Oberglas. I am unsure of any others.

Glen

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 07:47:26 AM »
Quote from: "Glen"

Re. the greek key style clear glass vase, I feel it is almost certainly the same maker on account of the base. The moulded pattern on the flat base is a most unusual characteristic - and the amethyst vase ("Four Sided Treetrunk") and the marigold "Cascades" vases all share this interesting feature. These are the ones that I feel fairly confident about attributing to Oberglas. I am unsure of any others.
Glen

I have two ashtrays in the same greek key design that I know for certain are by Oberglas - I 've seen them before with labels. Then underside consists (from memory) of concentric circles. Sorry, no photo - cannot find them anywhere right now.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 06:50:21 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand