No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pirelli animals  (Read 1693 times)

Offline lddlsa

• Members
Pirelli animals
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
While I am in photograph downloading mood  :comp: here are a few of my Pirelli creatures, nearly all unlabelled I am afraid.
Frank - I bought a bluetit on a branch which arrived today which does have a sticker.  I think it is in Glass Zoo unlabelled as possibly Pirelli, would you like photos of it?  Odd thing was that no-one else bid on it!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Pirelli animals
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:11:33 PM »
Perhaps everyone has one... but label is good, yes please to pics, one less in the unidentified bucket.  :D

Have you noticed how they are often described as an Italian company!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:52:07 PM »
Frank - I will send photos of the bird soon.

I smiled when I read your comment about them often being described as an Italian company.  When I first started buying these animals I ignored those as I assumed sellers knew what they were selling so probably missed quite a few. 

I get a strange sense of achievement when I find a Pirelli piece which is not listed as such and the Glass Zoo is excellent with regards to identification.  Mind you, I have made two silly purchases recently.  One was two glass dogs which I thought were Pirelli terriers but I hadn't noticed in the listing that they had clear 'hair' near the mouths ( is it hair or whiskers?).  The other was a labelled Pirelli rabbit which I did think looked a bit strange, when it arrived it had no nose............sounds like a line from that old song 'My old mans a dustman' which went something like "my dogs got no nose......no nose, well how does he smell then........bloomin horrible". :chky:

I think I need to get another job soon, spending too much time on the computer.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
I am not deterred by missing bits if there is a label, as it can still help identify pieces.

I had thought that once there were a couple of hundred Pirelli's catalogued it would be easy to find some pointers... well it turns out that others used the same approaches - so as with much glass, you learn to recognise a teachers style as his students disperse to work. On the other hand a Pirelli worker joined the Zoo recently, I should phone him but have to be a bit cost conscious these days. So more information could finally surface!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand