No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identifying an old Carnival piece  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Identifying an old Carnival piece
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 07:55:18 PM »
I understand that you feel there are still questions regarding your item. It's not uncommon for people to think they have had items longer than they actually have - so (without wishing for one moment to suggest that the lady is not remembering correctly) unless there is proof of an earlier purchase, then it is difficult to use "memory" as a very strong piece of evidence that the item is an old United States Glass piece.

All I can say really is that the compote pattern is not currently recorded as having been produced by US Glass in old Classic Carnival. You say "surely they used their mould before they sold it?" Yes, surely they did. But it is not known in Carnival. The United States Glass combine did not make a vast amount of Carnival Glass. Their output is pretty well known - and amethyst is not a colour that they used a lot. Marigold and white are the most often found colours they made. Honey amber, amethyst, blue and olive green sometimes too.

That's my take on the matter. Sorry I can't give you a definitive response beyond this.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 10:49:06 PM »
Just a quick update. I took this comport back to Fenton this morning for another round of debate, and, from another hour or so of searching, and with your help we decided that we're going to call it an early 1970 Fenton piece. It is, because of the twisted base and smooth rim features, an anomaly of Fenton's normal production type. It might be that the craftsmen were still trying to figure out their new mold. In any event, it is rather unique, which may or may not add to any subsequent value, but it's still a very cool comport. It’ll be on eBay as early as tomorrow in the usual category.

Thanks to you all for your help. You haven’t heard the last of me, I assure you! The next time though it will hopefully be with my sign on name instead of guest.

Thanks again, Mark

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 06:31:13 AM »
Mark - sincere thanks for your update and further information.

I agree with you it's a lovely item, and it has excellent iridescence. Good luck with the eBay sale.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand