No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More Lotton glass photos posted....  (Read 15805 times)

Anonymous

More Lotton glass photos posted....
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 08:26:01 AM »
Hi Warner

Excellent addition....I have added it to the ever growing list of favourite glass sites. I particularly liked the lamp... superb colours when it is off.
As with all sites the more photographs the better so if you've got a bunch more to add on please do so when you get time.
Working full time and with 3 kids as well.... very impressed.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 09:47:27 AM »
A most peculiar piece Terry.
I've never seen anything like it and nothing like it on Warner's site !
I think there's more to it than meets my eye. Could you give some description of the surface texture and any treatment ? The sphere looks coppery.  Is it solid ?
The feet look the color of old beer bottles !!!
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 10:02:38 AM »
I will be glad to give as best description as I can Peter. First it is 5 1/2 inches tall. It is a vase, the "dimple" at the top is actually a hole. The surface is pitted and has a soft irridescence. The color of the glass is Brown like a brown beer bottle. Now I had heard,  can't remember where, that in the early years, Charles did use beer bottles as his culet and the color of this piece would lend credence to that story. In holding it to a strong light the glass itself appears to be full of bubbles. Very frothy in fact. A very unusual piece. Terry

Offline warners

• Members
    • http://www.lottonglassclub.com
Who said Beer bottle?
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 12:18:12 PM »
Well, that IS an interesting piece of glass, Terry.   I'm almost positive that it IS in fact one of Charles' early "beer bottle" pieces.   If it is, (and I think it IS!) it is a very rare piece indeed.  Not like the beautiful glass that he makes today by any stretch, but as far as collectibility goes, it's right on top of the list.  The problem is (and this is what I am trying to address with the club), most Lotton collectors probably wouldn't know what it is, or else they'd see it and think it's a fake.   I'd LOVE to see the signature...and is it signed "Charles Lotton", or simply "Lotton"?  If you were to bring that in to the Lotton studio, there's a good chance that Charles would want to buy it back from you.   :)    If you wouldn't mind, could you e-mail me some photos of that piece?   I'd love to find a place for it on my site.   You can e-mail me at warner@lottonglassclub.com  

Thanks for sharing...and good find!

Warner

Offline warners

• Members
Thanks Gareth......
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »
  Thanks for the complement on the site, Gareth.  That lamp (I'm assuming you're speaking of the salmon colored drop-leaf table lamp?) is one of my favorite pieces.  Not only is is gorgeous, but I've not seen another one like it.  I've been told by Ken Catlin (the long-time Lotton collector whose collection I purchased in November) that he believes that Charles only made the drop leaf lamps for about 2 years.  The photos of it "on" don't do it justice, either.

As far as having more photos to post on the site, I've got LOTS!  It's all about time (and website knowledge for me....I just bought Adobe Go-Live, which is what a co-worker of mine has used to create the site for me...I am attempting to do the updates to it myself now, but usually screw it up a bit initially and then he fixes it...but I'm learning!).  If there are any particular photos that you'd like to see in the mean-time, it's rather easy to post them up here, so just ask for them and I'll be happy to provide them, okay?

Thanks again,

Warner

Offline warners

• Members
If you can live without it....
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 12:30:51 PM »
Quote from: "glasswizard"
I will be glad to give as best description as I can Peter. First it is 5 1/2 inches tall. It is a vase, the "dimple" at the top is actually a hole. The surface is pitted and has a soft irridescence. The color of the glass is Brown like a brown beer bottle. Now I had heard,  can't remember where, that in the early years, Charles did use beer bottles as his culet and the color of this piece would lend credence to that story. In holding it to a strong light the glass itself appears to be full of bubbles. Very frothy in fact. A very unusual piece. Terry

Terry, if you can live without that piece in your house, let me know what price would make the loss easier on you.   :D    I'd like to have one of those pieces in my collection.

Thanks!

Warner

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 08:29:38 AM »
Warner,  Yes the piece is signed Charles Lotton. As you are aware the book on Lotton glass contains samples of his signature and in comparison I would have to say they match.
As to photos, I am going to try to take some better ones this weekend and will most certainly share them with you. Hopefully I can get a pic of the signature as well. Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »
The Lotton Studio
http://www.lottonglass.com/

Flower decoration is not generally what I like but I can't but help be impressed with David Lotton's work. The colors are stunning, as is the clarity and precision of the artwork. I am most impressed by the use of near solid glass forms to magnify the internal (?) decorative eletments and make them come alive ..in the same way that paperweights do.....but moreso. Some examples here
http://www.lightopera.com/aq.cfm?Dept=vases&SKU=DL-V-0012&NextRow=1&afn=David&aln=Lotton

Terry, your piece will probably be invaluable to future researchers charting the rapid progress in technique that Charles made in his early years. It would seem to represent one of the earliest efforts of this self-taught man who went on to develop an expertise to match the greats. An extrodinary story.
Pete

Offline warners

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 03:18:59 PM »
   Although I am not a collector of David's work, he certainly does have his own unique style, as most of the Lottons do.  Some of the heaviest and most beautiful (in my humble opinion) glass was made by John Lotton when he was still blowing glass.  I do not own any of his great pieces (although I do have 2 of his free form sculptures that are in the Lotton book, and think that these will be important pieces down the road), but a friend of mine who collects Lotton glass has one of the best collections of John's work that I know about.   Many of the pieces are shown on my club website, under the "Lotton Glass Study", "John Lotton Study" area.   

Personally I only collect the works of Charles, but I can appreciate all of the Lottons works.  The Lotton studio has a website (as you mentioned above), and their gallery downtown (Chicago) also has a site that actually gives the retail prices of the pieces they list.  This site can be found at http://www.lottongallery.com    Remember, most of the pieces that you see on either of these sites (and other sites that I've seen) are showing glass that has been made in the past year, so they do not give any examples of the older pieces.  (that's what my club site is for...Hehehe!).   

As far as Terry's early beer bottle piece, it is certainly a historic piece, if nothing else!   Some of Charles early works were made from whatever glass was free!   Besides beer bottle pieces, there were also pieces that are known as "Fresca" pieces, which were blown from the green glass that came from Fresca bottles.   And in 1974 and 1975, he used milk of magnesia and beer bottles together to make pieces that are known as "Persian Inlay".  Here is what a piece of Persian Inlay looks like:

Warner

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 07:21:54 PM »
Wow that blows my mind...........something so beautiful from old bottles
When I am able I would want one of these as my first Lotton
Were many made ?
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia