No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Testolini  (Read 6990 times)

Offline ElaineB

• Members
Testolini
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
Hello,
Can anyone advise me on my little vase signed Testolini?
From the info I've gleaned on Great-Glass and via Google,there was an Italian Textile & Lace retailer named Marco Testolini operating during the late 19th C.They were also connected to Venetian glass but were they making the glass or selling it? They certainly sold lace as a book called Merletti,detailing their lace products was found as was a postcard from the shop in Venice.Oddly,this wee vase has a pattern that looks just like lace but it is applied to the surface rather than embedded.
There's also a reference to an M.Q. Testolini.Does anyone know if this is the same company?
Many thanks,
E

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Testolini
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 04:45:02 PM »
 I have a couple of Italian glass books with Testolini glasses in they are fabulous, he was a very important glass maker i will try to dig the books out later and come back to you, it may take some time as i have hundreds of glass books and no system .There is a type of glass called Merletto.

Offline ElaineB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:18:40 PM »
John...That's fantastic!!! Merletti...Merletto...I think that may be it!
You've made my night  ;D Thank You so much  :chky:

I'll wait to hear from you.

All the Best,
Elaine

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »
This is so coincidental. We were talking about Testolini just yesterday on another group. Bidda is now the most expert of us, so maybe she can add more.

Testolini bought CVM early in the 20th Century. MQ Testolini tended to do highly decorative pieces that to me reflected its link to the lace industry and Salviati & Co. There is a picture of one of their most famous pieces on the opening page of http://www.rossellajunck.it/. It is the first picture on the left.

I find some of their work very clumsy, but much of their work is very detailed and beautiful. Your vase falls into the detailed and beautiful category. Great find!

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 09:51:20 PM »
Way way back when I first joined this board someone posted a teaset with this type of decoration on it. I've searched everything I can think of to find it again on the board but can't. I do know that I made a comment about it and was corrected by Ivo, so I don't know if he will recall the set as well. I have a vague memory that it was a boxed set by Salviati... this may be a total red herring, but it's bugging me now, so I thought I'd mention it and see if anyone else remembers the set or who it was by.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ElaineB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »
Double coincidence John! I've visited the link on my mammoth Barovier search!  :o
Got some pots to list too.My Roger Capron vase has just been uploaded but I guess thats one for the lovely Kev on the Potty Board! Toying with the idea of selling my signed Paloma Picasso perfume bag.It's a wee bit special though and has a lot of sentimental value associated with it...Never a good start if you can't disassociate with the merchandise!
I used to get shipped off to France every Summer and,to be quite honest,I never really appreciated it until my father was gone;Saw things & met people that I can now only dream about.Taking him to be scattered amongst Oscar Wilde,Edith Piaf,Jim Morrison et al in Pere Lachaise when I return from Christmas Hols.
Anyway this is veering right off the glass subject.Hopefully I'll hear back from you all soon...Sex Pistols at the SECC tomorrow night so I'm going off to list a few things then it's time to get punkified >:D
All the Best,
E

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
 Hi i found the book but i see i have been beaten to it. Title The Colours of Murano in the XIX Century it has loads of colour plates of some of the best Venetian glass you will ever see its by Arsenale et Junck and shows glass by M Q Testolini c1880.   In the past ten years i have sold quite a few pieces of Venetian glass that have come to rest in the Junck  Gallery, nice to think they have gone home.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 10:30:24 PM »
 Salviati made cup and saucers in this technique

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:39:21 AM »
JohnPhilip, thank you, that reassures me that I'm not totally losing my ability to recall things. ;) Now to try and find that missing topic...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 06:03:17 AM »
I have a couple of Italian glass books with Testolini glasses in they are fabulous, he was a very important glass maker i will try to dig the books out later and come back to you, it may take some time as i have hundreds of glass books and no system .There is a type of glass called Merletto.

Hi,
The Marletto I have seen and is described in books is totally different from this type of decoration. What you have is clearly a lace design. Marletto was very irregular and caotic I guess you could say. I'll put  apic of what it looks like on here if I find it on my old pics.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand