No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tchecoslovaquie Pressed Glass Set? Reg # - ID = Libochovice a.s  (Read 13009 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Tchecoslovaquie Pressed Glass Set? Reg # - ID = Libochovice a.s
« on: November 17, 2007, 11:21:20 PM »
Hi,

Bought this set and put them together in the pic as the previous owner told me they should go. Im guessing they could be separated or reversed also.
The large bowl is 29.5cm across top, 10cm high. Marked Reg.No. 798828
The smaller bowl is 17cm high x 14cm across the top. Four feet. Marked on one of the feet Reg.No. 798828. On the base is TCHECOSLOVAQUIE.
Unusual spelling?

Any thoughts on this appreciated as to the maker, pattern and if they are meant to go together. Thanks
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Set ? Tchecoslovaquie Pressed Glass Reg #
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:46:22 AM »
I'm sure the pieces are meant to go together, the patterns match and the bowl appears to have four depressions to accept the feet of the vase/ base. The 'Tchecoslovaquie' mark is usually found on glass intended for export to France.

The registration number would date to late 1934, I would suspect the design was registered by the UK importer/ distributor, it should be possible to look it up.

As to maker, I would hazard a guess at Inwald but this is based more on instinct than any hard facts. Hopefully Glen or Marcus will be able to add more.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 02:52:13 AM »
One of a batch of registration numbers dated 18 Dec 1934*, registered by Hoskins Rose, *number range on that date was from #798822-#798828. Hoskins Rose was an importer - we discussed some of their other designs and their whereabouts here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1707.0.html

Source for RD # date/name is the Blue Book
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:44:56 AM »
Thanks Steven & Anne :)

The other topic was interesting to read. So we know they were the importers but not who the maker was. Ive had a suggestion that my one could be a punch bowl? Will make a stunning table centrepiece either way.

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:19:03 AM »
Just a brief note as I am a bit rushed:

I think the items were made by Josef Rindskopf's Sons (probably at Teplice). The pattern style and the overall shapes of the items are very typical and totally characteristic of Rindskopf. I doubt it was meant to be a punch set - I would further doubt that there were cups to match. Much more likely is that both items were meant to be multi-functional (sold better that way!) So you have a vase and a bowl, or put them together (in two ways....vase above or below) and you have an "epergne" and a table centre for fruit, flowers etc. There is probably a sugar bowl too, that could be used to make yet another clever shape.

For more on Rindskopf:
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/RindskopfHome.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:18:58 PM »
Glen,

Thank you again! Im so glad I put the set on here. Ive loved looking at your site and reading all the information. I must admit I also only associated Rindskopkf with one style of glass. What an eye opener and an interesting family story also.

Selina
Trudy

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:42:43 AM »
Hi all,
I have this now identified as Libochovice a.s.
Flared bowl is pattern number 1822/290, and the bowl was also sold as a in-turned variant, pattern number 1822/240.
Base is pattern number 1827/160.

Given the Hoskins Rose RD no, and the increasingly regular connection between Hoskins Rose and Libochovice, this is beginning to suggest that Hoskins Rose were main importers for Libochovice a.s,

Regards,

Marcus

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Tchecoslovaquie Pressed Glass Set? Reg # - ID = Libochovice a.s
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:59:28 AM »
Thanks Marcus :)

I'll make a note of that.
Trudy

Offline anniememories

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »
I have an identical set which belonged to my Grandmother.  My mother was going to throw it out because it wasn't English glass and presumed it was worthless.  Can anyone give me some idea of value, please? Reg no. is 798828.  Many thanks.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »
Values are pretty subjective and many here can't or won't give them for various reasons: condition, market place, and other factors affect what a piece will bring on the day.

It won't be worthless, but what you get for it will depend on who wants it - if two or more people chase it it could do well for you.

If I was buying such a set I'd be willing to pay around  £20-30 if it is in perfect condition but I am a bargain hound and others may go higher!

Any damage at all reduces its value considerably though, and glass collectors are very picky about damage, so do declare even the slightest thing.

Hope this helps. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand