No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royal Brierley cut glass vases  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Royal Brierley cut glass vases
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:14:43 AM »
Bought a couple of these, stamped on the base "Royal Brierley". They look small in the picture but are actually 10 inches high. I don't normally like to buy clear cut glass anymore but i took a liking to the pattern. I'm hoping they are 1930-40's.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Royal Brierley cut glass vases
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »
There's a similar vase in Nigel's book 'Art Deco to Post Modernism' with three diagonal cut lines with lens cutting between, pattern number 65308, marked Royal Brierley, 1935.  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:26:28 PM »
agree with Keith that there's a strong similarity of design between the two, and in the booklet illustration, the curved mitres are continuous - there are three lines of mitres separating each band of lenses.             On the vase here, are we seeing broken mitres - rather than as  continuous lines?
Perhaps another picture or two showing a better view of the mitres might be helpful.
Lenses, or printies, are always a hopeful sign of a pre 1940 date.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 10:05:38 PM »
Thanks Keith and Paul, here are some more pics...
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
Also similar to the Webb Rembrandt guild bowl...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 07:50:54 AM »
thanks - it doesn't appear to be identical to the RB cut design Keith mentions, so looks like we may have to discount that particular pattern No., though it's obviously from R.B., and doubtless from that period.      Lenses and mitres were very common 1930 - 1950, and the books obviously can't include all of them.
Under the heading of S. & W., Leslie Jackson comments that one of the depositories of R.B. archives is held at Broadfield House  -  might be worth a punt to ask them if they have any knowledge of this design.
Anyway, it's a good piece  -  but then I'm a v. big fan of clear cut glass from the inter war years.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
Since Broadfield house closed some of their archives are at the Dudley archive centre, some with the family and I believe there are still some at Himley Hall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand