No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: JOBLING glass  (Read 10684 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
JOBLING glass
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 07:18:55 PM »
Well, I can add one thing (fwiw). It is very unusual indeed (exceptional in fact) to find Carnival Glass marked with "British Make".
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
JOBLING glass
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 08:20:23 PM »
The punches were cast and finished by hand. They would have been made by a professional tool-making company.

However, some glassworks had substantial engineering departments and could have made their own. For example, John Moncrieff Ltd in Perth were fairly self sufficient and could have made such things themselves.

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
JOBLING glass
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 06:45:04 AM »
Hi

I have an update on this topic, in my collection of Weardale pieces I have a two handle sugar, when I examine this piece I discovered that it has both the Reg No and BRITISH MAKE on the inside base. This BRITISH MAKE matches my other pieces, has anyone seen any of these patterns?

May not be conclusive but could be a good referance point.

Tony H

Anonymous

JOBLING glass
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 09:16:50 AM »
Quote from: "Tony H"
Hi

I when I examine this piece I discovered that it has both the Reg No and BRITISH MAKE on the inside base.
Tony H

Hi TonyH

What is the registration number please

Gareth

Offline Tony H

• Members
JOBLING glass
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »
Hi Gareth
The Reg No 724094 20 September 1926.

I have 9 pieces of Weardale in my collection, all have the Reg No on them.

Tony H

Offline Tony H

• Members
JOBLING glass
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 05:59:54 AM »
Hi
I have opened a new album for BRITISH MAKE pieces. There are 3 photos of a new find, it is a small dish 3 inch in diameter by 1.5 inch high, inside are the words BRITISH MAKE very much like my other pieces, also the top edge is like a pattern called Quadruped ( Chippendale ) but has a pattern on the bottom edge a bit like Weardale.

Will add my other photos of BRITISH MAKE glass to this album later, an interesting topic, can anyone help with ID of table wear patterns from early 1900s for Greener, Jobling.

Tony H in NZ

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: JOBLING glass
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
I've been trying to id this opaline uranium jade glass frog, which I think is Jobling and seems to fit nicely into my 1054 bowl as well as matching in colour and opacity etc.  It has BRITISH MAKE written on the base as well as 6 little knobbles as feet, 19 holes.  I  thought I'd post it here as it seemed appropriate.  If anyone can confirm this for me I'd be grateful. Many thanks  :sun:

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm certain the frog is Jobling; it seems to exactly match the Jobling examples i've handled in terms of form, hole count & marks. Below is one of my old examples sat in the 1054 bowl it came with. I've also had these in standard colours - one came with a three part flower set, all in clear uranium green; again, shape & marks match. :)

Steven

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
oh my goodness, I have just realised something really weird - Steven thanks so much for confirming this.  I bought that 1054 bowl yonks ago but I only bought the frog a few weeks ago.  I've now remembered I bought them both from the same place.  They must not have put the frog out at the same time, or lost it in the stock and when they found it again, put it out. And I happened to be in there and picked it up.  How absolutely weird is that?  so I have to think they were originally together because that is just too much of a coincidence. 
Thank you!!!
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
That is not uncommon. I know Bernard has had it happen, and I had it happen with this http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=843 in a place we don't visit that often; jug and glasses separately

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand