No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hanging thorn basket  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Hanging thorn basket
« on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »
Mervyn Gulliver, in his book 'Victorian Decorative Glass' on pages 183 & 4, identifies hanging baskets in this style as being "similar in design to one shown in the pattern books of H.G. Richardson c1885". 

Does anyone know who else made this sort of thing? 

And the green glass basket is NOT uranium glass!  :o  But I like it anyway  ;D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: Hanging thorn basket
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 07:12:09 AM »
What a nice basket, Leni! :)
The frame is particularly ornate. You know I have one, but mine is a dead ringer for the ones in Gulliver's book, that is, the frame doesn't have the extra pinched decoration on the stem like yours. Mine has a pale blue over opal cased basket.
Hmmmmm....That non-vaseline greenish colour & extra pinched bits could be Stuart?
Have a look at the pieces the Gulliver i.ds as Stuart elsewhere in the book, thinks like baskets with lots of pinched decoration & vases in a similar shade of green.
Whatever it is, I love it! ;)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 07:58:45 AM »
Thanks, Marinka.  Yes, I had wondered about Stuart, and also some items with pinched-work which Gulliver attributes to Webb! 

I would have thought it should be possible to compare the crimp patterns and the flower and leaf effects with pieces known from patterns books and registered designs, then we would know which glass houses used which tools.  Does this idea sound 'off the wall' to you?  I wonder whether anyone has done this sort of research?  I know some 'prunts' have been attributed to certain glass houses. (And of course Berrnard counts ribs!  ;D )  Perhaps I should have asked Mr Gulliver himself, when I met him at Gaydon  ;)
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »
The concept of i.d-ing by comparing pincerwork designs with known patterns sounds great. We, & others, have plenty of items with distinctive applied decor & pincerwork. My hanging basket has a daisy-head pattern pincered all over the base, for example.
Such an idea would be an excellent avenue to pursue for someone with access to relevant pattern books or catalogues (sadly not me!)
Lucky you to meet Mr. Gulliver (& thanks once again for that very nice peloton vase you purchased from him for me :) ) I'm sure if I met him I would certainly get into a very long discussion about the finer points of Victorian glass! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 12:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Leni
... And of course Berrnard counts ribs! ...

I count pattern repeats, Leni, and, as you are fully aware, so does Mervyn Gulliver, and an increasing number of others.   You might be surprised how useful it becomes after an initial period building up your knowledge base.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »
Been away for the weekend, so just following this up. 

Thanks, Bernard.  Yes, I wish I had a fraction of your experience and knowledge base!  ;D 

I find the pincer-work patterns fascinating, but often I find it's actually easier to 'see what you're looking at' by photographing and enlarging, rather than looking at the actual glass!  Unfortunately, I don't have enough examples yet to compare them  :( 

Another thing I have noticed is the colour of the green glass.  I actually stood my new piece next to another example in non-uranium green, and realised that the colour of the glass was identical!  However, that piece had a totally different style of pincer-work  :-\  But a third piece in non-uranium green is also identical in colour, and has similar pincer-work too!  :D

Anyway, obviously I must collect more examples in order to compare!  (That's what I tell my husband anyway, when we go to yet another glass fair and I see something I MUST have!  >:D  ;) )

Here's a couple of pics of the pieces I was comparing it with, anyway.
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand