No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Optic rib decanter  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Optic rib decanter
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/opticrib003.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/opticrib004.jpg

Not sure if this counts as a decanter or just a stoppered bottle, but any ideas on origins/maker/age would be greatly appreciated.  It's a lovely quality piece with internal ribbing in a pale amber/citrine colour.  The ball part of the stopper is hollow but the end piece is solid.  I know it's not Whitefriars, which narrows it down to 999 other possibilities ;D ;)

TIA  :D
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Optic rib decanter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:43:57 PM »
I would say continental Europe because of the flat grind on the top and something like a schnapps decanter - they often seem to have this chubby shape but I could be wrong...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:13:32 AM »
Quote from: Anne E.B.
... I know it's not Whitefriars ...

Anne — How?

My first thought was its similarity to the RB/S&W seagull vase in BGbtW, quickly followed by the possibility of Webb, WF and other Stourbridge glassworks.   I wouldn't like to exclude anyone.

Any chance of a photograph of the base, clearly showing the pontil finish.   ... and photographs of the tie numbers.

... and what does it weigh?   ... and is it heavy or light for its size?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:47:21 AM »
Hi Bernard :)  It was thought not to be Whitefriars on their website and I looked thru' all their catalogues for a match before submitting a picture.   I would say it was heavy for its size - 9" high in total.  Weighs 1lb 7oz (650g) with stopper;  approx. 1lb 2oz (approx. 525g) without stopper.  Am I correct in thinking tie numbers are the number of rings?  If so, there are actually 8 (see pic) although there looks to be more in the picture.

Bernard - I'm embarrassed to say I'm trying to work out the abbreviations for the seagull vase.  Can you please oblige ;)

Base:  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/005-2.jpg
Showing rings:  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/015.jpg

Many thanks  :D
Anne E.B

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »

Royal Brierley - Stevens & Williams, Anne  ;) ;)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:30:45 AM »
... I'm embarrassed to say I'm trying to work out the abbreviations ...

Anne — no need for embarrassment — my fault for allowing my raw shorthand to escape uncooked.

As Della says, RB/S&W is Royal Brierley / Stevens & Williams.   BGbtW is Dodsworth, Roger, British Glass between the Wars, Dudley Leisure Services, 1987.   No. 337 on p99 is the RB/S&W seagull vase, similar to yours, engraved with gulls over the sea.

... Am I correct in thinking tie numbers are the number of rings? ...

No.   That is my favourite name for the little numbers engraved on the stopper and neck that tie that particular stopper to that decanter.

The weight and base could well be RB/S&W.

To check this out properly, you will need access to the RB/S&W factory pattern books.   These are stored at Himley Hall, which, according to the Dudley Museums website, is closed during the winter, and only open short hours during the summer.   It's much easier to consult the pattern book microfiche held at the Corning Museum of Glass, available long opening hours all the year round, with unlimited free hard copy.

You might consider an opinion from Roger Dodsworth or John Smith at Broadfield House Glass Museum.   It's best to book an appointment, as, in my experience, they are always busy.   They don't seem to have meeting rooms, and that glass topped reception desk is vicious, so take at least a thick blanket to cushion it or, preferably, take your own furniture, such as a folding table and two camping chairs (they don't appear to have any chairs).

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »

You might consider an opinion from Roger Dodsworth or John Smith at Broadfield House Glass Museum.   It's best to book an appointment, as, in my experience, they are always busy.   They don't seem to have meeting rooms, and that glass topped reception desk is vicious, so take at least a thick blanket to cushion it or, preferably, take your own furniture, such as a folding table and two camping chairs (they don't appear to have any chairs).

Bernard C.  8)

Many thanks Bernard as always 8)  One for the future I think, to check up on.

Love the idea of taking furniture ;D.  A sudden image of the Clampetts comes to mind, with me as Grandma sat on a rocking chair on the roof of the car ;D
Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 11:51:21 AM »
Anne — Falmouth?   I thought you lived in either Chance or PV country.

Love the image.    ;D

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 12:09:07 PM »
Sold up in Manchester over a year ago, and spent the intervening time to-ing and fro-ing up 't'North and down to Falmouth.  Moved into our new permanent home three weeks ago and still unpacking boxes... :)  Saying hello to my glass again which has been in storage all that time ;D
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand