No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Czecho - Transjö  (Read 3846 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Not Czecho - Transjö
« on: June 30, 2005, 04:33:49 PM »
I happened upon this stunning photo
http://waij.com/photography/other/2/i/glass_vase.jpg
while looking for something else and wrote to the owner.
This was his reply.

Peter,
feel free to link to the images. I photographed the vase when the sun was setting and the colors came out really well.
I bought the vase in a gift shop in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. It was in
the back of the shop but instantly caught my attention. The sales person
could tell me very little about it and thought it was from Czechija. It
was not until I had taken it home and looked at the bottom that I
discovered that it was from Transjö. I have no other information about it.
I bought it because I like the simple shape and the vibrant colors.
ruud www.waij.com

Close up: http://waij.com/photography/other/2/i/glass_vase_detail.jpg
 Is it by Ann Wolff ? of Stenhytta Glass studio in Transjö Sweden ?
Pete

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Not Czecho - Transjö
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 05:15:43 PM »
If the vase is signed Transjo, it is Transjo. There are two masters at Transjo in Sweden, Jon Erik Ritzman and
Carlson. This vase looks like their work.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Not Czecho - Transjö
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 07:24:18 PM »
Thanks Bill
I usually look in your book, Creative Energies before googling. Maybe missed it but there it is.
It does get confusing when glass companies are named after towns, especially when they are not located in that town.
I see that Transjo Hytta AB is located in the town of Kosta.

Googling some more this description seems to give a more enlightening picture of the area and Transjo Hytta's place in it.

"Connecting Växjö and Kalmar is Glass Country, a 70-mile stretch of forest sparkling with glassworks. Frankly, these glassworks would hardly raise a rattle elsewhere, but they gleam in Sweden's calm countryside air.

Of the several renowned glassworks in the area, Orrefors is the most famous and Kosta is the oldest, dating back to 1742. Both are set up to appease the masses, offering tours, daily glassblowing action, easy shipping, and nearly perfect crystal seconds at shattering discounts. The tiny Transjö Glashytta offers a much different experience — expensive but fine art pieces created on an old converted farm." http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/scan/ruralsweden.htm

It seems they have been very active in training up and comming glass artists but I haven't found a website for the company as yet.
Pete

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Not Czecho - Transjö
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 03:58:28 PM »
I think Transjo is in the Kosta kommune. They are down the road from Åfors and I think Ann Wolff has a studio in this small area.
Ritzman and his colleague has brought students to the
studio where they assist the masters. One even showed up in my old habitat in Colorado Springs. Great way to learn the ways of masters.
Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand