No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Case of the mysterious letter F... - ID = Jeanette Lombardi  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Case of the mysterious letter F... - ID = Jeanette Lombardi
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:42:49 AM »
While sorting through some of our pressed glass, I came across this centerpiece type bowl and a bit of a mystery.  My first thought was that my eyes were deceiving me, my second, that what appeared to be the letter F was simply a flaw in the mold.  (just as the "anchor" above and to the right of the letter F is almost certainly an imperfectly formed acorn.)  There is no design feature on the opposite side of the bowl however, that might lead one to surmise that the "letter" is an artifact of an obscured/re-cut design feature.  

I do not know the age or the manufacturer of the bowl, nor do i know who or what the letter F may refer to.
Any identification or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Clicking on the either thumbnail will take the viewer to a site where a larger picture will appear.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Case of the mysterious letter F...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:48:44 AM »
Paul — Vague twiggy infill around the leaves, that's all.    If you look hard enough at any design, you are bound to find hints of numbers or letters somewhere.

I can see you would do well at the "Find the Inscriptions on this Greener Basket" game!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:42:03 AM »
The bowl was made by Jeanette in the USA. It was called 4 toed Lombardi bowl. Date circa 1950s. I think the F is just a squiggle, a feature of pressed glass, nothing more than that.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
Guess that solves that.  I can't see any like feature on the other side, but when I run my finger over the section I can feel some bumps that may well be a weak duplicate.  Thank you both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand