No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Collecting Dino Martins work  (Read 3780 times)

Offline twists

• Members
Collecting Dino Martins work
« on: December 01, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »

I want to collect Dino Martens work ,I love his style, any tips on where to start.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Collecting Dino Martins work
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »
 With your bank manager

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »
Probably the best place to start is to look at the higher level sites on the internet, e.g. Galleria Marina Barovier and the Olnick Spanu Collection (easy to google). Many stores and eBay have things labelled as Martens that may or may not be his designs. There is a book, Dino Martens: Muraneser Glas-Designer 1922-1963.
Werkverzeichnis
, that you may want. I haven't seen the inside of the book yet -- it's in the mail  :clap: -- so I don't know if it is good for beginners or not. I know that many books concentrate on the high level pieces and almost ignore the everyman's glass.

Are you most interested in Marten's color work -- e.g., Oriente, ElDorado, pezzato -- or the filigrana pieces? I love his color work, but my pocket book is way skinny.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline twists

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:33:07 AM »
Thankyou   for the  reply .

I  can recommend  Dino  Martens Book, by Marc  Heireman, I  brought it last year  for my husband  for Christmas. I think  you will  enjoy the book  when you receive it in the mail.
I like  his Zanfirico ,Filigree and his Oriente works,  as I am privileged to see these techniques  used  everyday I  appreciate the skills needed  by the glass  makers  to apply  these   difficult techniques, but what I personally see in Dinos Work  is an artist  exposed  to a new  medium,  the fascination  of  the  end of day waste  bucket, the endless possibilities of colour, and the need to experiment  with  everything. I  believe  he is one of the most important Murano designers  of the 20th  century. 
My  glass collection is small. I will take your  advice  and  check out the sites  you  suggest,  and follow my own advice and wait till the right piece for me  comes available. As for the  bank  manager he will have to see it as a good investment.
I would be interested when you get your book to know which pieces you find  appealing  and why. I  think the bowl on page 151 just beautiful.
I would like a piece of Linos work one day, at the moment  I only have signed posters.
I  do have a  Richard Marquis  piece which is my pride and joy. ( American  artist)
I love my glass books, but feel  ready to make the next step into collecting.
Thankyou for the good advice.
Sue H         

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:44:24 PM »
It sounds like you are miles ahead of me in your knowledge of Dino Martens. I enjoy his more familiar designs because of the color and detail. I ordered the book because I wanted to see a broader range of pieces he designed. Most internet sites show the same series of pieces, so it will be nice to learn more about his other designs. I recently bought a pezzato handled bowl that I believe may be Martens. The book may give me some idea.

Martens is certainly a good investment. I can't think of a better and more enjoyable way to invest.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline twists

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:37:56 AM »
I checked out the Marina Barovier site :D worth looking at for the book collection  alone.
But thank you for your help and advice, I have a lot to learn.

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 12:57:42 AM »
You are starting from one of the most difficult name. So many copies, sold everywhere, also in galleries with a good reputation. The pieces designed by Martens are pretty simple to be reproduced and sometime it is hard to say which is the fake and which the original. My advice is not to care too much at the photos that you can find in the books, due to often they are reproduced following these photos. Some years agoo I had some pieces re-made in the same spirit (they are colourfull, nice shape and therefore a lot of clients like that style) and I sold them on my website (with a clear specification that they were contemporary production just inspirated by far to Martens' style) and immediately I received several requests from antiques dealers asking for copies identical to the photos in books.
Also considering the market quotation... think a lot before to buy!

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 04:33:42 AM »
Good sound advice, Alex. There are a lot of copies of both expensive and, surprisingly, inexpensive glass. Some of it is easy to tell if you know what you are looking at, but I imagine the good copies slip by even the most cautious eye. If a reproduction is good enough to fool even the experts, I wonder if anyone can ever judge if it is or is not original. Were your Martens copies signed by the person who made them?

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline twists

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:55:17 AM »
Yesterday  I looked  at a site called Italian Glass, it explained  a bit about what you are saying. And about the glass made for tourists and how some of  the clasic designs  are still made today. As I said  earlier  my pride and joy is a  small piece of work by Marquis , but it is unsigned,
it was made and given to my husband  when he was on a masterclass. But I still get enjoyment  from it on a daily base's and as it is not for sale, it makes no difference, as I know its providence.
I am going to enjoy finding the right piece.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »
I have been collecting examples of Dino Martens work for a number of years and in order not to break the bank have a number of pieces which have blemishes, eg an Oriente bowl with a chip etc. These have been augmented by some lovely perfect pieces when funds have allowed, but the flawed items give me just as much pleasure and allow me to enjoy pieces that would otherwise be beyond reach.
I have employed a similar method in my Venini and Archimede Seguso collections with similar results, not everyones cup of tea but works for me.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand