No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who might have made this thingy/whatsit?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Who might have made this thingy/whatsit?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 01:22:09 AM »
Jo — that is very useful.

Although my German is non-existent, it is quite clear that this material states that the piece is not by Walther.

I am somewhat bemused by this statement.    I would be quite happy to accept that it does not appear in their surviving company archives and trade catalogues, and that therefore it is unlikely (but not impossible) to have been made and marketed by Walther.   That is quite fair.   Making the leap to not being made by Walther seems to me illogical and unjustified without some other evidence.

I don't know of any major glassworks where we have perfect knowledge of what they did or didn't make.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 07:41:26 AM »
Yes, that's the bowl! But we're no further forward are we? I agree with Bernard totally that it is not possible to say with certainty that the item was not made by Walther. The only correct deduction is that, based on material currently available, we cannot state with certainty that the item was made by Walther. And here's another fly to stir into the ointment........

There are items that appear in manufacturers' catalogues that were not necessarily made by that maker. They might be copies, they might have been simply wholesaled and sold on. Just finding a catalogue entry isn't proof absolute in 100% of cases.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 08:37:37 AM »
Glen, et al,

I was disappointed by this statement in the prestigous and influential Pressglas-Korrespondenz website, where one hesitates before making any criticism.    I thought the old days of treating trade catalogues as complete inventories had disappeared a decade or more ago, and can only surmise that this statement must have been written some time ago.

It needs considered review and possible amendment.

I am not in touch with the proprietor(s) of Pressglas-Korrespondenz.   Please would someone either let me know how to make contact, or pass on this material.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand