No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An Epergne  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
An Epergne
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: An Epergne
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
You stick a few flowers in 'em and display 'em in the middle of the table or sideboard!  ;D

The idea of epergnes was that you could make a nice showy display with fewer flowers in them. 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:24:06 AM »
You stick a few flowers in 'em and display 'em in the middle of the table or sideboard!  ;D

The idea of epergnes was that you could make a nice showy display with fewer flowers in them. 

Thanks Leni. Always willing to learn more.  :chky:

Carolyn

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »
Carolyn — Note the "Attributed to", which might mean anything, and could be museum-speak for "Below is what we were told, but we've not been able find any evidence to support this or otherwise".   I think circa 1850 is rather early for this piece — I would be happier with a later date.

It is interesting that the museum used the word "Epergne".   Here in Britain that would probably be anachronistic, as both Percival Vickers (1881 and 1893 catalogues) and Silber & Fleming (c.1890) termed them "Flower Stands".   Silber & Fleming used the term epergne, but apparently only for silver and silverplate floral table centres.   I cannot recall seeing any contemporary use of the word to describe glass items in either sales and marketing material or factory pattern books, and that includes the 1940s–50s production by Fratelli Toso, made exclusively for the British market.   That's all changed now, with the use of the word epergne to describe more or less anything that's not a simple vase or lustre, and may be due rather more to the modern antiques trade than the original manufacturers.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »
As I understood it, the name 'epergne' comes from the French épargne, meaning 'saving'.  Presumably because you can save on flowers when using one. 

I take your point, Bernard, that the first use of the expression referred to items made in metal, and that glass-makers may not have used that term when they first copied them in glass, but I think the use of the word to describe a table centre-piece used to make a grand display while SAVING on flowers, is now a universally accepted term, isn't it?   
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 07:23:17 PM »
Agreed, Leni.   I don't know the history of this nomenclature in America, but had that item been English and on display at Broadfield House or the V&A, I would expect something more appropriate, such as "Flower Stand (Epergne)" instead of "Epergne".   That's all, apart from a desire to know more about the subject on both sides of the pond.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:46:21 PM »
I'd add that my impression from English books (as opposed to American ones) is that épergne refers mainly to items with a branched design.

It's perhaps interesting to note that not many authors of "standard texts" (that I have read) make reference to épergnes. This includes Apsley Pellatt and Harry J Powell, probably two of the most respected glassmakers of the 19th / early 20th centuries and who may well have included épergne table decoration amongst their own regular products.

However, R J Charleston (of V& A fame) in his 1984 book English Glass and the glass used in England, c.400-1940 did use the term. The first reference, on page 171 and linking to Plate 49b, was in respect of a rather good cut glass four-branched sweetmeat holder, said to be about 1770. This was referred to as "a variant of the pyramid", which itself was, in the 18th century, a three-tier table supporting sweetmeats, jelly glases etc.

Unfortunately, Charleston did not give a derivation for épergne but in his book the word was always set in italics, as if it was a special term rather than (I assume) a general word used in the industry.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »
Harrod's, c 1929, did not sell these in their glass department but in their silver & plate department. The name: "Flower Centre"

No sign of these in Hill-Ouston. Will check other retailer catalogues later.

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 06:26:23 AM »
I've also seen them simply referred to as centrepieces.
Flowers go in the trumpets, but one could also fill the bowl (&/or hanging baskets) with sweets or fruit.
There is a lovely book on them called "The Elegant Epergne", which features lots of gorgeous photos of epergnes, many of which are holding stunning colour co-ordinated floral arrangements. There is even a picture of one at a picnic, filled with raspberries! How totally over-the-top is that!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 07:10:02 AM »
Kevin & Frank — Grateful thanks.   It is interesting that you are having difficulties finding any contemporary English glass manufacturer reference to epergne.

There is one possibility that I cannot resolve, as I can't find my copy of the publication.

In the Sotheby's S&W sale catalogue of 3 March 1998, item 209 is the fabulous ivory opal epergne with ruby trails that sold for £1,782 including buyer's premium.    This must have been listed in the Honeybourne House Museum catalogue, which I have somewhere but I can't find.   How was it listed, and what is the date of this catalogue?

Simon Cottle notes that this epergne was shown in a (or the) 1951 Festival of Britain exhibition.   His reference reads:-

Exhibition:
1951, Stourbridge, Festival of Britain Exhibition pl.VI, cat.no.129

How was it referred to in this publication?

There is one other epergne that might have some manufacturer documentation associated with it.    This is the amazing Walsh Opaline Brocade epergne on display at the Red House Cone (well it was the last time I looked, some years ago).    Does anyone know of any Stuart or other documentation that mentions it?

heartofglass — I'm aware of this American publication, but I've not yet seen it.   Does it include attributions, and how are they justified?

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand