No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you give any help in ID'ing this large paperweight? Thanks!  (Read 1780 times)

Offline miragenet

• Members
Can you give any help in ID'ing this large paperweight? Thanks!
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:27:50 AM »
I have no experience with paperweights, for all I know this could be useless junk - but it feels nice to me.  It's large, standing 5.5" tall and about 3" across the base.  No signature, just an old paper label that's impossible to read.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Can you give any help in ID'ing this large paperweight? Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »
IMHO, something which someone thinks "feels nice" cannot, by definition, be "useless junk"  ;)

I'm sorry I don't know about the maker of this weight, but I think it could be modern Chinese.  Or should I say Taiwanese.  But whatever, I don't reckon it's 'junk'.  It's a pleasant and attractive design  :)     
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline miragenet

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
Thanks, Leni!

Are there certain things to look for to determine whether these are new or old, good or average, etc.?  I seem to be running into a lot of paperweights lately and of course I have no clue!  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »
I tned to agree with Leni's thoughts about this being a modern Chinese or Taiwanese item.

As for things to look for to sort out the old from new etc., the truth is that for Chinese products they are so varied and so many, that none of us in here have yet found any simple rule that would help.

Try a Search of the board for "Chinese paperweight" - this will bring up four pages of results, with messages covering all sorts of angles on this subject.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 11:07:52 PM »
Are there certain things to look for to determine whether these are new or old, good or average, etc.?  I seem to be running into a lot of paperweights lately and of course I have no clue!  :)

Go with what you like, if they are Chinese hang on to them.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi,
I fully agree with Frank on this, if you like it and can afford it get it!
BUT and this is a big BUT, if you are thinking of buying to sell on you need to be very carefull as chinese weights (and I use this as a generic term for mass produced weights that are bought by the crate load) tend not to resell well or make a big profit in the second hand market.
If you want to collect and maybe sell the odd weight then get what you like!
Kind regards,
KarelM
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand