No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "New" bohemian weights  (Read 2711 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
"New" bohemian weights
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »
Hi there,
Some time ago I mentioned that I am seeing Bohemian weights apearing in the Naschmarkt (in Vienna, a very large open air market held on Saturdays) that look dont look right. 
In my opinion their condition is too good, ie perfect, there are suddenly a lot of them and they do not feel heavy enough to be from bohemia, in my experience the Bohemian weigts tend to be very heavy compared to modern weights. 
Somebody had asked for a picture of these which I have not been able to do yet, I did however see 150189635089 on ebay.  This is very similar to the weights that I am seeing in the Naschmarkt although one would have to physically handle the weight to see if it is the same as these ones.  The lampwork (i dont think it is  lampwork but a different tecnique that i do not know the name of  :-[) and the facetting are all very similar.
Anyone else notice an increase in these weights or actually purchase one to compare it with a verified Bohemian weight?  Also where are they coming from?  I know there are loads of rather good factories in the old Eastern block countries (sorry but I really cannot spell Checgoslavakia! ;D)
Any comments or info?
Kind regards
KarelM
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: "New" bohemian weights
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
sorry but I really cannot spell Checgoslavakia!
that should read:  ...I really cannot spell full stop ;D ;D ;D
Karel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »
I've noticed them on ebay often enough and have 2 or 3 in my collection as well as many 'classic' upright & multi faceted Bohemian weights.
There is a clear difference too in the structure of the flowers and the green leaves in the new ones.
I have pictures in labeled folders on my epson site, the link by my signature, for both the modern & original (between the wars) examples of upright, faceted Bohemian weights.
Also, on page 109 of Jargstorf's book, she has a picture of 3 modern examples for sale and her text describes them as such.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:09:14 PM »
Also, on page 109 of Jargstorf's book, she has a picture of 3 modern examples for sale and her text describes them as such.
I dont have the book...but could you check if there is a reference to where they are made...these weights are intresting and I recon collectable...IF you can find them at modern and not antique prices!!!
KarelM
Karel

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
Hi, the 'modern' ones in Jargtorf's book are at least pre 1989 and not similar to these "new" ones on eBay.
The ones she describes have a green/grey tint to the glass and are quite heavy. The facetting is also not
perfect, not bad but not great either.

She states that they were Hungarian and calls them "antiques" (her quotation marks).

I know as I have no less than 5 of these  :) (bought as a lot from a local auction house).

My computer is bugging at the moment so I can't add a pic, the only pic I have is copyright the auctionhouse
so can't use that one.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »
I interpret her quote marks around the word ''Antiques'' (in a Vienna flea market) to mean beware what may be passed off as antique.
Her text talks of the 3 weights in the picture, which she dates 1989, being production weights from Hungary that copy older designs with no inspiration.
In addtion to weights like those, I have seen very simple swirl designs coming out of the region with paper labels such as Beranek (sp?).
I have an affinity to the original Bohemian uprights that were produced between the wars. I likely have Too many :-!

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:50 PM »
That is my interpretation also, they're not that bad tho.

I wish she had given more information on these, maker etc.

These differ from earlier and presumed later weights in the tint of the glass especially -
easy to spot as it's a dirty green tint and not crystal clear.

I think Beranek is Czech.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »
Thanks for all the info!
I just saw another one on ebay.co.uk that looks right.  I am not going to post the item number...but it is rather expensive  ;)
Karel

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 07:48:33 AM »
Beranek is definitely Czech. Company started @ 1941, at Skrdlovice, by Emanuel Beranek. It then became part of ULUV, with externally appointed designers, under the direction of Professor Veliskova. Designers in the 1950s include various members of the Beranek family,  Jan Kotik and Maria Stahlickova amongst others. The 1960s saw new designers arrive, including Frantisek Vizner, Lubomir Blecha, and Vladimir Jelinek.
Weights seem to have been a major area of production, and some big name designers contributed, Ladislav Oliva, Petr Hora, Rene Roubicek and Cermak among others. Many weights from the 1970s and 1980s are still in production.
Company was returned to the family of Emanuel Beranek after 1990, and is still a going concern.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand