No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Glass Pear Bookend  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Murano Glass Pear Bookend
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:36 AM »
I've seen these Pear Bookends attributed to three or four different makers in various places around the world wide web. I'm assuming they can't all be right so I come to the experts to see if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks for any input.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Glass Pear Bookend
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:13:44 AM »
These bookends are difficult because they all look so similar. The thin stem and flat leaf make me favor AVeM or Fratelli Toso. The ones Barbini and Archimede Seguso made c. 1960 had stems that were thickened on the end and leaves that stood out in greater relief from the body. These things make me think it was not by one of these companies.

I am not at all certain who did your pear, but my first guess is AVeM and the second is FT.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:26:23 AM »
Thank you Anita, you point out some subtle nuances there that I had not noticed were different in various pears I've looked at online and you've given me some other avenues to explore. I will see what I can do with this info.

Hope you had a lovely Christmas  :sg:

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 04:28:52 AM »
 :tsk: Hi, will just add my two pennyworth-attached is a picture of a Barbini pear, hope you can see what Anita was saying in relation to the stalk and leaf. regards Carol
Carolglass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand