No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whitefriars vase  (Read 1469 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
whitefriars vase
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
anyone know what the centenary mark means i.e. who was it made for?

thanks

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: whitefriars vase
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 04:40:49 PM »
Hi Ray - for once I can help ;D  It marks the centenary celebrations for the Manchester Evening News.  Every employee received a boxed set of Whitefriars which included the hambone vase you show and a matching ashtray.  I'll get back later with the patt. no. when I find my notes and a pic. of the ashtray.  The employees were also treated to a day or a night out at Belle Vue (in Manchester).

I bought one of the marked hambones in Hull of all places, and discovered that it was the M.E.N.  So, I wrote to their postbag, and received back several emails from ex employees - many of whom still had their glass.  I then came across the matching ashtray some time later back in Manchester.

;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »
Oooh I do the M.E.N. a great dis-service.  They actually treated all their employees to two evenings of celebrations at Belle Vue.  How cool is that - and being presented with Whitefriars! 8)  Unfortunately readership decreased and for the last couple of years the newspaper has been a free one dependant on advertising.

Here's the matching ashtray along with the hambone.  http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/003-3.jpg

Members of the Whitefriars site helped with ID and information on the pieces.  The colour is Cinnamon which was introduced in the 1967 catalogue.

Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
thanks Anne, i got it from an antiques place quite cheap and they had an other one but it was chipped on the rim,

i wonder if they only did them in cinnamon with the logo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand