No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salvador ysart weight? ID = More likely Paul Ysart  (Read 3643 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
Salvador ysart weight? ID = More likely Paul Ysart
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
well i just got this one , and i thinks it's an early Salvador weight but i could be wrong, it measures 3.5" high and just over 3" at the widest point, the base has been polished flat, there is a grey tinge to the glass , there are only twist canes that i can can see + there's alot of green aventurine around some of the twists, so what you think

click image

[Mod: As at Aug 2011, the photobucket images point to either a "no image" page or a genuine, but unrelated image. Hence, all links have been removed.]
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Salvador ysart weight?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:16:01 PM »
Nice one Ray.

Can't say for sure that it's not by Salvador, but ...

... with the white "base" beneath the canes, it fits with all of the Paul Ysart "fountain" weights of that type that I have seen. (By this, I mean pre-Caithness period weights.)

... the mottled yellow-orange ground is much like that which I have seen in other weights by Paul, including a likely 1950s one I have.

... the 20 yellow stripes fits with the general "Monart" striped patterning and this could just as easily be found in Paul's post-war Monart work as in pre-war items.

... I think the striping is set more neatly than in similar work I have seen by Salvador. However, until now, all the Ysart weights I have seen with a striped cushion, have checked out as being Salvador's work.

... the flat polished base, with no indication of pontil marks remaining, is something I have seen in a few Salvador weights (probably first Vasart period) but it's a feature that occurs quite often in Paul's 1930s weights.

On balance, I vote for Paul on this one.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:55 PM »
Makes sense Kev, super find Ray!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
thanks Kev

i never thought of it being by paul, i've had two Salvador weights with the same striped ground, thats why i thought Salvador, anyway thanks for the info Kev
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand