No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decorated Swedish Bowl  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Decorated Swedish Bowl
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »
Picked this piece up in a lot with some Strömbergshyttan and Whitefriars glass at the weekend, and I've not managed to find anything out about it. I don't think it's terribly old or exciting - just pleasantly decorative if you like busy glass.

It's decorated all around with four scenes - a tall tower or church, a horse, a fountain in the shape of a nude woman, and a chap with a reindeer. On the base is pressed 'Schweden - Sweden', and this is surrounded by a floral vine motif. I'm assuming it was made in a centrifuge, judging by the finish of the piece.

Apologies for the duff photographs - I've not really got the time to drag all the lighting and such out today.

Tower / Spire
Horse
Fountain
Reindeer
Bowl Base

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Re: Decorated Swedish Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Nic,

It looks related to the Kosta Boda Kjell Engman Sweden bowl, esp. the tower and reindeer so that may be a place to start.

robbo
robbo

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:18:40 PM »
Sweden and Rhapsody (with snogging couple motif) are the only 2 Engman centrifuge cast bowls in the Kosta book, yours does not look like either. The Rhapsody came in 2 sizes, 150 and 190 mm diameter...FWIW.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »
Oh, that's curious. The two designs do bear striking resemblance - even the reindeers' antlers have the same configuration of prongs. Mine lacks the moulded foot, though.

My bowl comes in at 140mm in diameter.

So I wonder if mine's a variation on a theme by Kosta.... although that probably would be recorded... or a knock-off by another factory... which seems pointless for such a mundane design.  :huh:

I hadn't even considered Kosta, to be honest, and just assumed it was most likely by a smaller, cheaper glassworks - kind of like the Swedish version of Muurla, who I actually thought it was by before I looked at the writing on the base.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
I am not aware that Swedish glass companies signed Sweden in the German language.

Can anyone let me know if my information is correct?

Bill Geary

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:10:15 PM »
Oh, that's a point. Might it have been for the export market... or is some European copyist naughtiness more likely?

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:05:16 PM »
This looks like a tourist piece to me - the "Dala" horse is a fave motif in Swedish touristware,
as wood carvings, and as motifs on other things. The Sami man with his reindeer another.
Reindeer antlers in grown males look like these so I wouldn't read too much into that.

The tower/spire appears to be Stockholm City Hall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_City_Hall
This dates it to no earlier than 1920'ies, probably later. The City Hall was completed in 1923.

Sweden has had a long and good relationship with Germany, even during WW2, and lots of German
tourists take a ferry over. So I'm not surprised to see German and English sign on the bottom.

Edit - It could be that the Schweden/Sweden is part of the design as a tourist piece rather than a manufacturer's mark.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »
Agree with Ivo; this is similar to but not the same as Kjell Engman, and Kosta would not issue something so close in design.
If it is Swedish, it could be Nybro. A few years ago they were adept at imitating ( with a twist of course ) Kosta designs. Now they have their own designers and don't have to imitate any more.
Am a bit doubtful whether it is Swedish, to date I've only ever seen one piece with Schweden on the bottom and that's this one.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand