No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed..??... Guilio Radi AVEM style dove. ID = Alberto Mattiello "Geremia"  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
Re: Signed..??... Guilio Radi AVEM style dove. ID = Alberto Matiello "Geremia"
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 10:49:54 PM »
(...)
- Should it be Mattiello with two tt's ? I see on your site you have Stefano Matiello, while some other sites spell it Mattielo. It - also appears to have two tt's in the signature on my dove.

It is Mattiello, with double "T"; in the website I we wrote the name in a wrong way.

- What does the 'geremia' refer to? sorry if it's a stupid question but is it a place, nickname, glassworks??

Yes, it is nickname. As usual in Murano (Carlo Tosi is "Caramea", Davide Salvadore is "Trippa", Andrea Naccari is "Polmon", etc., etc...)

- I cant find any reference to Alberto via Google? Is it that he usually makes pieces under other trade names or does'nt usually sign his work? I
- would have expected the odd piece to show up if he has his own furnace and a long career...

Sometime they wrote the name, but not always. They are involved in pretty classic productions, with a good technique, but not with an "artistic" approach. And often the produce for other company who write their brand. Also "Geremia" is a good master, but not one of the "forever tops", as Carlo Tosi for goblets, Lino Tagliapietra for vessels, Seguso or Barbini.

- Any idea when it might have been made? I'm guessing fairly recently...

I think so. A friend of mine often ordered them and also I sold something similar made by them a pair of years ago.

Ciao
Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Signed..??... Guilio Radi AVEM style dove. ID = Alberto Mattiello "Geremia"
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
Many thanks...very much appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum