No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual corosso divided bowl...Venini?..Scarpa?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Unusual corosso divided bowl...Venini?..Scarpa?
« on: December 13, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone recognise this devided corosso bowl..?? it's 14cm (5 1/2in) long and 6.5cm (2 1/2in) high

My gut feeling is it may be a 1930s Carlo Scarpa design for Venini?....there's a page from the 1936 catalogue reproduced in 'Italian Glass Murano. Milan 1930-1970' pub. Prestel, that shows a drawing of a similar looking bowl (cat. number 4111) but it's very small and short of detail.

The pale lemon yellow colour appears a good match for one Venini used on these corosso pieces and the quality is very nice but it's not marked and I cant find anything at all with the unusual resist trailed raised design.

I might be on the wrong track so would appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks,
Martyn.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Unusual corroso divided bowl...Venini?..Scarpa?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:36:53 PM »
For 'corosso' read 'corroso'.....Oops.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Unusual corosso divided bowl...Venini?..Scarpa?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »
ZBS Czechoslovakia  :) in Citrine (colour). I have one, which was ID'd by Ivo.

Just found the thread: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5818.0.html
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »
Many thanks Della..

SNAP...nice are'nt they!

quote from IVO..."The yellow ("citrine") ashtray would most likely be Zbs, Zeleznobrodske Sklo and from fairly recent vintage."

Is that a confirmed ID?? Personally I would'nt have guessed a recent vintage..mine had a lot of deeply ingrained grime that was'nt easy to shift at all (you can still see bits in the pics after a long soak and good scrub), the design, colour, shape and finish dont look particually recent to me either? they have a very 30's to 50's feel to my mind.....Be great if someone could point me towards a similar modern ZBs piece.

Can we move and maybe retitle for other opinions please Mods.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »
Just noticed looking at the close-up of the base on yours Della it has considerable wear which does'nt suggest 'recent vintage' either...?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »

It has plenty of wear to it, Martyn. Your observations are correct. I have just been surfing and trying to find out some more info, but it is not very abundant, to say the least.  8)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 07:49:45 PM »
I've been doing the same and think these deserve being revisited before an attribution gets set in stone....

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:09:04 PM »

I just found this one Martyn http://cgi.ebay.at/Vase-ZBS,-Zeleznobrodske-Sklo,-Relief,-ge%C3%A4tzt,-1960_W0QQitemZ180184979948QQcmdZViewItem a completed item on ebay. It has the same finish.  :)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:51:22 PM »
Well found !!

That certainly looks a good match and from what I can make out they're saying circa 1960....I'll keep looking....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »
The yellow is nice but that blue vase is fabulous

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand