No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lemonade set  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Lemonade set
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:51:38 PM »
I suspect the lemonade set (pitcher and six glasses) pictured below, dates back to the late 18 or early 1900's.  My mother is 94, and the set originally belonged to her great aunt.  (My mother thinks it must have been a wedding present as "Aunt Ruth was too cheep to have bought it for herself.")

I apologize for the quality of the photo. 

If anyone recognizes the manufacturer or can give us a better estimate of the age, I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Lemonade set
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »
ok, I jump into it, Paul  ^-^
Very much Inwald, Radeberg or Fenne - looks European to me - better photos could be most helpful!
Can you tell about the roots of your mother's great aunt?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
We are in the middle of a major snow and ice storm today, but I can try to get some better pictures tomorrow or Tuesday depending on how the roads are.  As for the family, the English side came over in the 1600's while the German side arrived in the 1740's.  Until my parent's generation, the women all taught school and the men were farmers.  I do not know that any of them ever had any money or contact with the old country.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »
Hello Paul:

The pattern of this set is called Daisy & Fern. According to Opalescent Glass From A-Z by William Heacock and JoAnn Elmore (2000) this pattern was made by a number of different US companies from the 1880s until the present including Buckeye, Northwood, Fenton etc.  Perhaps somebody will recognize the shape of the water pitcher and be able to tell you who made your example but as Pamela mentioned better pictures will be required.

We are "enjoying" the same storm here in Canada!  Stay safe and warm.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:12 AM »
Paul — Heacock & Gamble Book 9, Cranberry Opalescent (1987), illustrates a matching green opalescent pitcher from the early Northwood production of Daisy & Fern with an identical rim, and dates this to 1894–1904.

The author explains the history of the well-travelled moulds for this pattern, noting that in the late 1930s they were acquired by L.G. Wright and used for another major production of this pattern by Fenton.   He goes on to explain the difficulty in distinguishing between pieces made by the different users of these moulds over the years, but does note that various items, including the apothecary jar, were not part of the original range made and sold by Northwood.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
Thanks to all!  I have added two new photographs that show that the top of the pitcher is quite different from the common pinched ruffle I see on many newer vases.  I don't know that that means anything.

Thanks again,
Paul

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:13:58 PM »
It's absolutely stunning Paul :clap: :mrgreen:
Anne E.B

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
There are original catalog pictures of this set in the book "Harry Northwood: The Early Years" (pp. 94 and 101). It dates from 1894 at the Northwood plant in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania USA.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:45:10 PM »
Thank you ever so much!
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum