No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I have just bought this and am curious if anyone knows the maker..  (Read 10075 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: I have just bought this and am curious if anyone knows the maker..
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 06:27:10 PM »
Good point - perhaps there is enough room for the table to be removed at an angle. Although it appears textured to the top surface, I can't see how the corners could have been 'slumped' upwards: besides, the edges are much too sharp.

It might have been draped over a framework that was dismantled after it had cooled.

[Frank's reply just came in, sort-of pre-empting this]
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:59:36 AM »
Quote from: David E
... it was probably created by placing a flat sheet of glass over a former and heating it to around 700 deg C where it would slump to form this shape, with a little manual help, in much the same way as handkerchief vases. ...

David, nice theory, but I don't believe it.

There are just not enough folds.   And it doesn't explain the very neat corners.

I've been trying this out with a tablecloth over a rectangular table.

I think it has to be pressed glass, with the sides at 90° to the top of the table, and then slightly flared.   Then reheated to bring the legs down to the vertical position with the sides folding as we see.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 12:01:26 PM »
I think it IS slumped and that this shows through the smoothness of the clear walls compared to the surface texturing. It could also have been made using a plaster former that could be easily broken away afterwards. The thickness of the glass would limit the amount of movement and thus folds, I would expect it to be very controlled slumping with the glass being almost forced into position. But just guessing.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 07:01:12 PM »
I shall be in Bürgerweide tomorrow 21.12. from about noontime until afternoon about 5.00h
would be pleased to receive you then  :chky:
mobile phone to follow directly to your email address if available here - if not - mail me to arminewa aol com
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:28 PM »
I shall be in Bürgerweide tomorrow 21.12. from about noontime until afternoon about 5.00h
would be pleased to receive you then  :chky:
mobile phone to follow directly to your email address if available here - if not - mail me to arminewa aol com

thanks Pamela,  :kissy: will check it out in and see if it works. I'm not at all familiar with Hamburg so I'll have to see how to get from Elbstrasse to your place but I would really like to see your collection! We will be in Hamburg from around 12.00 to 16.00 on the 22nd. December.
If it doesn't work this time, no problem, we can always come another time, without car and cumbersome glass table!!

It looks as though it were created from a pre-cut rectangular sheet of 5mm(?) thick glass,
Hi David, I've measured the depth of the glass on the shelves that house my humble collection and the depth is 10mm, hardened glass. It looks pretty close to the depth on the table thickness. I'm in the 70 -80kg. ballpark, what do you say? I think I'm talking 180cm x 1000cm all told, but I have no idea what 10mm glass weighs per m2. Do you have an idea here?
( Now you can see I'm worried about the actual lifting of the table, perhaps I should take some strong slings with me..)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »
about 82 Kg assuming 2,500 kg.cu.m .22 x . 15 x 2500

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 05:38:49 AM »
Thank you! :) 

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
Quote from: Frank
I think it IS slumped and that this shows through the smoothness of the clear walls compared to the surface texturing. It could also have been made using a plaster former that could be easily broken away afterwards. The thickness of the glass would limit the amount of movement and thus folds, I would expect it to be very controlled slumping with the glass being almost forced into position. But just guessing.

Agreed, Frank.   I was rather kite flying — I just wanted to be sure that everyone was quite sure it was slumped from a flat sheet of glass, had properly thought it through, and had not just assumed this to be the case.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
David, nice theory, but I don't believe it.

There are just not enough folds.   And it doesn't explain the very neat corners.

I've been trying this out with a tablecloth over a rectangular table.

I think it has to be pressed glass, with the sides at 90° to the top of the table, and then slightly flared.   Then reheated to bring the legs down to the vertical position with the sides folding as we see.
So you agree with Frank, but don't believe me?  :huh:

I did think it through: to my mind, the best way the ultra-smooth sides could have been created would have been initially from a flat sheet of drawn or float glass - probably the latter. Either way, I'm sure it started life as a flat sheet of glass.

Surely to realise a piece of pressed-glass this size, would have needed an enormous press? And to achieve the smoothness of the folds would have needed ultra-careful preparation of the moulds - probably chrome-plated? Again, for something so large, surely this would have been a complete non-starter?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 06:36:11 PM »
And how does the press operate? You argue against slumping, but the same problem of removing the former exists.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand