No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HELP! NEWBIE ALERT! Can you help identify 2 curious pieces?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline tiffw

• Members
Mod: Pictures gone, retained for info about Imperial Whirling Star and Fostoria Heirloom

HELP! I'm new, but excited about glass!

I have recently started collecting unique pieces of glass that I find on my deal-seeking outings (thrift stores, garage sales, etc). I have come across two new pieces that I love, but I cannot figure out the details on.

The first one is a large Milk Glass Punch Bowl (13" across, 7" high). I sent photos to Replacements, who couldn't identify it the first time. I sent it again, and this time they told me it was "Whirling Star" (or Hobstar??) by Imperial. The problem: I can't find any evidence that they ever made Punch Bowls of this pattern in Milk Glass. Does anyone know?? I am stumped!!

The second piece is a GORGEOUS greenish-blue bowl or vase with random peaks at the top, approx 7" tall. I took to an appraiser who told me it wasn't likely to be an old piece because the bottom showed essentially no scratches. She suggested it might be Czech glass or something . . . any ideas on maker or value??? :?

I appreciate the help of any psudo-experts out there, THANKS!  :)

~Tiffany

Offline JC

• Members
HELP! NEWBIE ALERT! Can you help identify 2 curious pieces?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 06:13:28 AM »
I think your second item could possibly be Heirloom made by Fostoria. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.
 As for the first one. I can never tell those hobstar Whirling star patterns apart.Imperial, Westmoreland and McKee, too confusing for me LOL :?
Julie

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: HELP! NEWBIE ALERT! Can you help identify 2 curious piec
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 06:16:46 AM »
Quote from: "tiffw"

I appreciate the help of any psudo-experts out there, THANKS!  :)

Psudo no less!

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 07:15:15 AM »
Your first piece is indeed Imperial milk glass. It is part of a punch set, which I have seen called Hobstar, Whirling Star or simply #500 and #5. I have seen two versions of the punch set - one on a full sized stand (#500), and one on a smaller base (#5). Plus cups of course. It was also made in contemporary Carnival Glass.

See, the REAL experts at "Replacements" got part of it right. :?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 07:26:48 AM »
Your "Psudo" appraiser needs a book. The second piece is indeed Fostoria's Heirloom pattern. The pattern was produced 1959-1970 in yellow, blue, green, pink and opal, all opalescent. Also in regular colors of Ruby and Bittersweet (orange). It can be found in vases, bowls, candlesticks in a wide variety of shapes. I have a certain fondness for this pattern and glass. The colors are very pleasing and the shapes tend to show a certain free spirit. Terry

Connie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 09:28:13 AM »
Your punch bowl in milk glass from the experts at Replacements  :roll:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/IMCWHSMG.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand