No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on Ceskomoravské Sklarny A.S.  (Read 3853 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Info on Ceskomoravské Sklarny A.S.
« on: June 18, 2005, 12:58:42 AM »
Hi folks,

I have received an email query about an item etched to the edge: ČESKOMORAVSKÉ SKLARNY A.S. The item is in "typical" pale blue frosted glass and decorated with a "typical" Czech nude in a "head on knees" position.

Although the item is (apparently) a paperweight, I thought this forum would be the best first choice since all you experts on the Czech pieces hang out in here.

I searched this message board, because the name rang a bell with me and sure enough there were a couple of messages mentioning it. But all that seemed to be said was that the company was formed as a merging of others.

My Google searches show a couple of references in the pressglas-korrepospondenz website but the translated text (via online applications) does not seem to help me much. Other Google hits show Czech pages but I can't find a Czech / English transaltor.

Any info, such as dates of operation for ČESKOMORAVSKÉ SKLARNY A.S. will be gratefully received. And what significance, if any, does the "A.S." part of the name have?

Thanks,
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

Info on Ceskomoravské Sklarny A.S.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 07:35:55 PM »
AS A ktielgesell S haft

Another of those companies with not absolutely clear dates. Certainly it was the old S Reich works at Vsetin, but I have seen dates for the demise of Reich's for 1934, 1938, and post nationalisation in the period 1945-1948. If the dates for change of name are accurate at 1934, then this piece may have been made for a long time, and one cannot be certain that the mould would havbeen altered to remove the AS after the nationalisation. What is clear is we are still talking of a company that was also known as Moravske Sklarny, a part of Crystalex. Moravske sklarny became Jihlavske sklarny s.r.o, which I believe went bankrupt recently.

Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand