No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart, help!!!  (Read 7940 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 07:43:36 PM »
Hi Frank,

I had no idea how sophisticated the scam was, or how many weights were made, its mind blowing. And also very alarming.

I presume the mastermind was never caught, but is known to some. Not still dealing I hope :evil:

The second batch made in the 1990's, were they from the same source, or yet another scurge?

Having just read the information, I realise the weights I saw on Friday had small ground pontil marks, just like the photo. Certainly not flat.

The moral is, unfortunately, suspect every weight unless proved otherwise by a Ysart expert such as yourself or KevH.

The poor woman who lost her savings are the true victims in crimes like these, the forgers deserve to rot, not enjoy the high life. Only hope they get theirs some day :twisted:

Barbara.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 08:06:36 PM »
Quote from: "BJB"
I presume the mastermind was never caught, but is known to some. Not still dealing I hope :evil:

The second batch made in the 1990's, were they from the same source, or yet another scurge?

Still selling, still getting garbage made and selling as Monart, Vasart... probably involved in 100% of all Scottish fakes.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 09:11:28 PM »
One can only hope they get too big for their boots, and finally get caught.

Trouble is they would only get a slap on the hand and community service :(

Has a good trade with China then! or does he get them made closer to home!?!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 05:40:23 AM »
All made in the Perth area. One batch of miniature Monart vases with faked labels were probably made in London by a now respected glass artist, during the 1980's.

Offline BJB

• Members
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 12:10:55 PM »
Frank,

I remember when I went to Broadfield House last year for my big 40 :( ,I had a long conversation with the glass blower who had the studio there at the time about all aspects of glass making. During this he said that he had been approached to make copies of glass pieces by known makers, but had refused!

He didn't go into much detail but said it was a large dealer in London, no names mentioned, and to be honest I wouldn't have the slightest idea if one had been.

At the time he had scruples, and a regular income, but for many who aren't doing so well it might be tempting. I'm not saying its right, a fake is a fake and casues a lot of heartache for those who have bought it as genuine, but its easy to see how it might be done, a lot like forged paintings I suppose.

Barbara

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 08:57:47 PM »
I do not blame the glassmakers as there are just not enough collectors buying from them and of course the guilty ones are usually the dealers. There were four or five directly involved in the scam. They were mostly sold in England and the English police would not act because the maker was in Scotland... made it to complicated to bother with for them. There was a similar problem with Scottish police because they were mostly sold in England. I bought mine from an innocent Portobello Road weight dealer who would not get involved with the police. He did give me a lot of details about the operation. But the bulk of the information came through the network of the Cambridge Paperweight Club.

To this day the makers still involved are unknown. The early players ducked out.
:twisted:
The fake weights stopped by the time Perhshire Paperweights went bust.

The solution, get to those studios and by some hot 'Original' glass.

Offline BJB

• Members
Ysart, help!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 09:05:17 PM »
Frank,

I bought two lovely pieces off him, as well as a load of books from the shop :)

There is no answer to the problem, only that they might be put out of business from the Chinese fakes soon :wink:

Barbara

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand