No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Galliano Ferro Hat with Label  (Read 2578 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Galliano Ferro Hat with Label
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »
I can answer the question to whether the bull's eye murrine hat vase has a label that shows. No, it does not. The vase in the book is structurally different than the GF vase. It has five rows of red and lattimo murrines and it appears to have nine columns. The GF vase appears to have fewer. The FToso vase in Pina's book is 3.5" tall. The photo was provided courtesy of Skinner.

I own three of Leslie Pina's books. I have learned a lot from her work... and a lot more from the foundation her books provided. I dealt with her one time and found her to be very friendly and accommodating. I whole-heartedly recommend her Fratelli Toso and Archimede Seguso books to anyone interested in learning about the work of these two companies. I have them with me anytime I am shopping for Murano.

Anita

Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 04:35:29 AM »
I think Springhead is being a bit harsh on Pina. I've got six Pina books and I'd be lost without them. The Fifities book had some problems, but, as far as I can make out, she corrected them in Italian Glass, which shows glass I can actually afford to buy, and in the Seguso and Toso books. Her Scandinavian books are essential to me, again as the other books tend to show only glass way out of my price range and are narrowly focussed. I'd love to have a full range of catalogues from Scandinavia, but until that happens, I'll rely on Pina. She's also a very good person to deal with, BTW, although I've not had a great deal of contact with her. I would hesitate to say she's wrong, as, as Laura says, likely more than one company produced these hats. I would imagine Skinner agreed with the attribution, or vice versa.

It's interesting to compare the pictures (from the Pina book and from Springhead) side by side, as Springhead did with the elephants. Which one do people prefer?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Springhead

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 05:42:01 AM »
agreed... erring on the side of caution is probably the best course

as far as the books go... they are good references, my perspective is from seeing only the first two...

David... every really great piece of Italian glass I ever bought I paid less than $20.oo for...

You have to know where to shop... heh...

Check the Martinuzzi tea caddy... I paid $4.oo for it at a flea market.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand