No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perthshire Paperweights: images WANTED  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Perthshire Paperweights: images WANTED
« on: December 29, 2007, 03:05:04 PM »
I am trying to complement the "Complete Guide" (which stops in 1997, as we all know) with images from Perthshire catalogues until their closure. Unfortunately my 1998 and 1999 catalogues got lost somehow. I managed to find most weights manufactured during these 2 years online - but a few are missing:
PP 188 / 189 / 190 / 191 / 198 / 208
So - if anyone happens to have images of these weights - or the weights themselfes (to take a picture of) - I would very much appreciate them. For the sake of other forum members it might be interesteing to actually upload them to the forum (if you have copyright).

Alternatively (even better) - should you have either of the two catalogues, I would appreciate if you could send them to me for scanning. I promise to return them immediately.

For direct contact, send me an email to wolf at seelentags dot de.

Thanks and all my best wishes for the New Year - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Perthshire Paperweights: images WANTED
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:34 PM »
Hi Wolf

I have photocopies of the 88 and 89 Perthshire catalogues and the only weights from the list you posted that are shown in either years catalogue are PP188 and PP198.

I have scanned in the images but they are not brilliant - scans of scans ! If you need them, can you confirm your e-mail address as the one you have posted looks very short and the last email correspondence we had was to a swiss email address.

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:34:50 PM »
Thank you for your offer, Derek!

Either address (the .de above or the .ch you've already got) are fine - the mail will end up on the same computer.

BTW - I expect PP 188...198 to be from 1998, and PP 208 from 1999.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:01:32 PM »
Hi Wolf

Both scans have been e-mailed to you - not brilliant but better than nothing! You are correct both the images I have found are in the 98 catalogue.

Regards

Derek

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
Derek,

Can I have copies too please, I have several weight images from the period that I need to ID before putting on SG. A scan of a scan is probably not good enough to put on-line.

To address the design changes within a number I now add significant changes as separate records on SG so that it is easier to ID variants. e.g. PP63 http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=202&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=51

What was the highest PP number used?

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »
Hi Frank

Have e-mailed scans to you - the highest numbered PP I have a record of is PP241 which was a limited edition of 30 in the Christmas 2001 supplement. Its a 2 1/2" spoke weights with a Cockerel picture cane in the centre - top facet and 9 side facets.

Best regards

Derek

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:25:23 PM »
Frank,
if you send me your "unknowns" I'll give it a try - I believe I have now information on all weights - apart from PP 189-190-191 (have found PP 208 in one of my Selman catalogues by chance). Here's my tentative list of PP numbers and year of issue - not considering the annual collection weights - based on the "complete guide" plus the 1997 (my own) / 1998&99 (Derek's) catalogues:

1997 spring catalogue:
unlimited: PP178
limited:    PP 179 / 180 / 181 / 182 / 183 / 184 / 185

1997 mid-year catalogue:
unlimited: PP 186 / 187 / 188
limited:    PP 189 / 190 / 191

1998 spring catalogue:
unlimited: (no new ones)     
limited:    PP 192 / 193 / 194 / 195 / 196 / 197 / 198

1998 mid-year catalogue:
limited:    at least "A very limited mid-year weight" without a number (recently on ebay, incl. picture of certificate, edition size 50)

1999 spring catalogue:
unlimited: PP 199
limited:    PP 200 / 201 / 202 / 203 / 204 / 205 / 206

1999 mid-year catalogue:
limited:    PP 207 / 208 / 209 / 210 / 211

2000 spring catalogue:
limited:    PP 212 / ...

And - as Derek already mentioned - PP 241 seems to be the last issue in the PP series.

Any comments and/or corrections are welcome - and I'm still looking for pictures PP 189 / 190 / 191.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 06:34:17 PM »
Thank you Derek.

Wolf, I am not actually working on the PP's at the moment and I still have some ID's you did for the last round in the backlog - for Scotland's Glass I am currently creating Monart catalogues to replace those on Ysart Glass - much nicer as I can now include all the examples and various angles the 300 odd shapes will have an average of 5 images each. I am also scanning in all the images from Ysart Glass using the original transparencies. The difference in colour is astounding, but at 1200 dpi for the 6x9 trannies it takes about 15 minutes overall for each slide. This will finally give comprehensive coverage to that glassware. I will do the next round on Perthshire Paperweights after that... then the Monart & Paul Ysart weights will get the same treatment, followed by Stuart Strathearn, Vasart and Strathearn. Obviously still several thousand Caithness to do but that has slowed down as I cannot reach Peter K who was doing the scans

There appears to be some PP designs that were exclusive to the US, at some point I need to ask Larry Selman if I can scan his leaflets too.

Edinburgh Crystal is barely touched and virtually no images of Scottish glass before 1900! Not to mention all the stained glass and other glass studios. Edinburgh college should no doubt be covered in some way too.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:56:34 PM »
Hi all

I have been pursuing this off-line through a number of channels.
Gary McClanahan has confirmed that Perthshire did not issue PP189, 190 and 191.

This could explain why no one has seen one of them !

Best regards

Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand