No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scailmont vase (split from Re: CALENDAR: Last few images needed!)  (Read 22753 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Scailmont vase (split from Re: CALENDAR: Last few images needed!)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »
Thank you so much Anne  :clap: very interesting,
but not a single glass item  :-\
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 01:32:48 AM »
The last three links have glass items/info Pamela. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 10:06:01 PM »
Perhaps this is the right moment to introduce a new website about Belgian Glass including Scailmont.
(of course it's in French!)

http://membres.lycos.fr/artdecoducentre/ .
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
I wonder if one of those (or both) in the calendar is one of the copies?

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
As far as I am aware, those vases that are unmarked may be by Niemen. I would not describe them as copies. As far as I am aware they are contemporary with Scailmont production so it is difficult to say who got there first. I would also not be entirely surprised if some Scailmont production was unmarked.

The amber vase shown in the Pressglas-Korrespondenz page linked to in Pamela's post was from one of my old ebay listings. I had attributed the vase from Cappa's 'Le Genie Verrier de L'Europe' at a time when I was not aware of Niemen having produced this pattern. As far as I can tell the mould detail is virtually identical between the signed and unsigned versions. It would be fascinating to have a few signed and unsigned examples side by side for a more thorough comparison.

Offline rodmax2

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »
Hello all pressed glass collectors and Happy new year 2008. I'm from Belgium and i'm French-speaking and I have difficulty to write in English, then excuse me for the error. I'm a Belgian glass collector but only items from first half of the 20 Century from area called "Le Centre", including "Scailmont" in Manage, "Gobena" in Familleureux and "Vercentre" in Houdeng. From this three manufactures only "Scailmont" make a serial of pressed glass. I can ensure that all this production must be signed to be original. An than what about a non signed vases ? First: It is thought that when the factory to close its doors in 1976, much moulds of origin were sold and this finds now in one of the Eastern European countries. Then come of the no signed vases in the Nineties. Secondly: when the factory of “Scailmont†has closed in 1976, it was bought by glassmaking DUROBOR from Soignie and became “La verrerie du Hainaut†and there after became “VERENOâ€. It is possible that some moulds still have was useful manufactured vases, but which could not be marked any more “Scailmont†and the signature were unobtrusive moulds. Actualy I seek documents or old workmen who could confimer that. In attachment some picture. The first show difference between fake and original "Ch Catteau" pressed glass vase. You can see differences in the dimension and in the patern. other pictures show some other "Scailmont HH" pressed glass vases. "HH" is for Henry Heemskerk the designer of many glass vases from "Scailmont" except all items signed "Ch Catteau". I invite you to visit my peronnal web site “Art Deco Du Center†at ( http://membres.lycos.fr/artdecoducentre/ ) cordialy Rodmax2

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »
Greetings Rodmax and welcome to the GMB and congratulations on the excellent English! I notice that Jay linked to your web site, so many thanks for this as well and the Nouveau/Deco examples :) :clap:

This fresh insight into Scaillmont is most welcome and hopefully you will be able to contribute more on pressed glass topics in the future.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 04:17:55 PM »
Welcome from me too Rodmax
It would appear that Pamela's is not genuine http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/misc/06701.jpg
  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »
So mine was original then - phew, because I sold it months ago to a Belgian glass gallery!  Thanks for the info Rodmax :-)

Offline rodmax2

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
Hello all collectors of pressed glass. remember, I live in Manage (Belgium) and I am a collector of glassware from my area. There is a long time that I intervened in this topic and in the meantime I learned some things about the glassworks Scailmont. I'll add here the URL of my website (under construction) but it is in French. I also post some pictures of three new molded pressed glass vases and signed Scailmont. I must also correct the problem of identifying the vase signed Scailmont Ch.Catteau from the first post of this topic. Something interesting has been written by Mr Daniel MASSART historian of my city. It appears that the molded pressed glass vases signed Scailmont Ch Catteau and Scailmont HH. Were manufactured from 1927 to 1930 in Scailmont glassware. It is possible that after some vases were made by Scailmont, but without signature. For example the Ch.Catteau vase in question is shown here in black and painted with gold, and only signed "BELGE" under. This is important to say that some parts molded pressed glass were marked "BELGE" manufactured in Scailmont glassware. I think it's an important link.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand