No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jelly(?) mould Reg.No.547034 - ID = W. A. Bailey  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Jelly(?) mould Reg.No.547034 - ID = W. A. Bailey
« on: January 04, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/003-4.jpg

This mould has the Reg.No.540734 and No.7324 impressed on the base, but the Reg.No. doesn't appear on Great Glass' list of Registered Design numbers.  I've only been able to date it to c.1910.

Does anyone know the maker please?  Also, the mould looks quite plain.  Any ideas what it might have been used for?

TIA  :)
Anne E.B

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Jelly(?) mould Reg.No.547034 - Maker unknown
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
Looks more like a mould for potted meat or brawn to me. I'm sure I can remember seeing them in that sort of mould at the pork butcher when I was a child

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:05:34 PM »
That's what I thought.  Very Upstairs & Downstairs - with unidentifiable animal body bits in aspic :-X  Although I do remember seeing brawn in posh butcher shops when I was young (not in Victorian times tho ;D)  I googled aspic and found a website with recipes.  According to them "aspic enjoyed something of a revival in the 1970s at dinner parties."  I must have slept through that.  I don't think I'll wait for another revival.
Anne E.B

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
... found a website with recipes.  According to them "aspic enjoyed something of a revival in the 1970s at dinner parties."

They got it wrong UK revival was in the late 50s, my mother was really into it - I found the texture disgusting... food in slime. If they did it again in the 70s it was a 'retro' revival already  ;D

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36:11 PM »
Hi Anne, from the depth's of my memory i seem to recall these were called "Bird Cage Moulds" but dont quote me !!
Try here http://www.historicfood.com/cake%20moulds.htm#balmoral they may be able to help.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »
Anne - From what I can see of the inscription, and from the whole shape, it looks very like the same range as the individual portion sized creme caramel mould decorated on the outside (so you know it's not a below stairs demould) with a scallop motif, if my memory is correct.    If it is, then it may well be the below stairs demould creme caramel mould for situations where equal sized portions were not necessarily appropriate, such as a family with young children.   The well-equipped kitchen would have had both styles, to enable them to cater for either situation - indeed they may have been sold as 1+6 or 1+8 sets.

Unfortunately I can't remember the Reg No on the individual creme caramel mould, nor its registree.   Would some kind soul pass this information on, please.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »
Would someone please let me know if my previous reply makes sense, or is it gibberish?   It reads OK to me, but then I know what it is supposed to mean!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »
When I first saw this topic, I did look up the Reg. Design and noted that 540934 is very close, but this was registered by Walsh Walsh. Knowing very little about the company, and that Bernard is commenting, I didn't post a reply then as it seemed rather stupid - perhaps it is, but...?!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »
Thanks for your comments folks ;)

It does look like a bird cage Sue - for a small song bird!  :)

Bernard - its reads okay to me 8)  but I'm not familiar with the term demould.  It holds 1 pint of liquid, so I don't think this would be an individual portion size, but perhaps one of the family size ones you mention.  Mind you, I personally could easily scoff a pint of creme caramel with no help at all  ;D   
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »
Anne, is it possible that you still have this? If so, can you add a closeup shot of the registration number please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand