No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with old Murano candleholders  (Read 2041 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Help with old Murano candleholders
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:30:35 AM »
They are similar to pictures of Seguso candleholders I've seen. The label doesn't help (at least, it doesn't help me) as it seems to be from the store that sold them. Look to be very well made.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline allie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
Thanks for looking David.  I really appreciate your taking the time to write!!  I assumed that's probably the name of the store on the label, but then again it could have been the maker.  Don't know much of anything about Murano, and don't have any books.   Allie

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
The Blackamoors look more like Barovier to me, i had a Barovier bowl with a Blackamoor each end but could be wrong.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »
Barovier and Toso was my first guess, too, but I couldn't find any pictures of similar candlesticks attributed to them. Pina's oler book,"Fifties Glass" (p. 87), shows a similar pair to the pair on this thread and she attributes them to Seguso. However, she doesn't show anything similar in her latest Seguso book. I'm pretty sure that a number of companies have created something similar over the years.  The key is that they are Murano and they look to be good quality. Certainly, I'd covet them.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline allie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
Thanks again David, and you too John.  I went into Ebay, and someone has a figurine listed as a Murano Cavalier in crystal with the gold flecks.  The clothing looks similar but no black faces arms or legs.  His is inscribed Seguso Murano it says,  maybe on the coat.  I couldn't get the close up to come up for me in his ad.  Are all the pieces inscribed?  I cleaned these off, but wasn't looking for anything in the glass.  I thought the labels told the story!  LOL  I've got them all wrapped up in bubble in a box, but maybe I should get them out again and look them over with a magnifying glass.  Allie

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »
I ran across these candleholders that are attributed to AVeM: http://www.treadwaygallery.com/5-7-2000-sale/catalog/modern/lot1025.html. The design is different, but they are similar to yours in color. AVeM often copied popular designs, so I don't know if they did yours (or if the auction attribution is even correct). I wanted to show you the auction link.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
I could be way off (experts, feel free to correct me!), but if you are looking for an attribution in order to sell these, I would say they will sell incredibly well no matter which glass house in Murano produced them. It sounds like many made pieces similar to these. Of course, it's always nice to know the maker, but in this case it might not be necessary in order to achieve a good selling price.
Shannon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand