No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barbini Shell Form Bowl w/Damage - WWYD?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Barbini Shell Form Bowl w/Damage - WWYD?
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »
This one just breaks my heart, because it obviously used to be such a beautiful bowl! I bought it on ebay, where it was described as perfect condition, then it arrives like this. Imagine my shock! Such an obvious repair, and in the most interesting part of the bowl.  :cry: I got my money back, and the seller was very nice, so thank goodness for that. The only question now, is what to do with it?! Am I right in assuming the value is completely destroyed by this damage? Thanks for your thoughts!

Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Barbini Shell Form Bowl w/Damage - WWYD?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
You'll have to start an orphanage for beautiful but damaged glass.  My orphanage includes a huge Moser deer plate and an old calcedonio vase -- two of my favorite pieces of glass.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:34:30 PM »
i'm with Anita. i'd keep it (it's still quite lovely). on display the repair won't be too obvious and you can still get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

bidda

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
The problem is not enough space! Or rather, not enough space that is safe from little hands.  ;) I've resorted to mostly collecting paperweights and animals, since they don't take as much surface space. Although...I could see putting an animal lounging inside the bowl for display. That might look neat.
Shannon

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »
The problem is not enough space!

oh, how i can relate! every closet is filled with boxes of bubble wrapped treasures; nearly every wall lined with shelves that are jam packed, stacked and teetering precariously; drawers stuffed; bobbles stashed under tables and chairs... i don't even like to think about how much time i spend dusting :D it's really gotten rather ridiculous (the post man makes fun of me for the number of packages coming in) which is why i had to open up a storefront. as much as i love every piece i'd rather see them go to the homes of other collectors where they can get the space they need to shine.

bidda

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
I keep damaged and not too fragile pieces on lower shelves  (I have some that go all the way to the floor).  My grandsons (2 & 3 year olds) know these are Opa's things they can touch.  Let's them, hopefully, gain an interest in pretty glass, and satisfies their natural curiosity while keeping them away from the good stuff. 
Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand