No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Bowl w/Unusual Color Combo - Electric Blue, and...Vaseline?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
I don't know whether it fluoresces or not (don't have a black light), but is this bright greeny-yellow color right for what is sometimes called vaseline? Also, the yellow glass has bubbles, but not enough to be pulegoso. What would you call this? It also has a few little inclusions here and there. Any thoughts on maker? Because of the shape, the gold, and the thick glass, I was thinking Barbini...Thanks in advance!

Shannon

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Bowl w/Unusual Color Combo - Electric Blue, and...Vaseline?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »
What a cool bowl! The yellow color doesn't look right for vaseline, which to me is good because I don't like the color of vaseline glass. I can't see the bubbles well enough to tell much about them. Do you think the glass may be bollicine? I see what looks like opalescent inclusions.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:45:02 AM »
Doesn't look like vaseline to me either. This sort of almost vaseline colour is not uncommon in Murano glass. Here's an example

Offline Springhead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
another example... the yellow does not fluoresce

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »
Shannon, if you can find a black light, try it on your bowl. After I wrote the message to you yesterday, I thought about something else -- it may be vaseline glass with something in it that gives a different color. You can buy a little black light on eBay for a few dollars. They are not so good, but they will definitely light up vaseline, custard, and uranium glass. I have one of them and they work fine -- I can pick up the pale green of old American glass.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »
Thanks all! I had some help testing it (even without a black light), and it's not vaseline. It is a very loud color of yellow though.  ;D

I'm not entirely sure what bollicine is supposed to look like. I will try to get a better picture of the bubbles in the yellow glass. The inclusions are scattered and hap-hazard. They almost look unintentional, but I've never seen so many unintentional inclusions in Murano glass, so I tend to think they were done on purpose.
Shannon

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »
Maybe it is just me, and I have looked at one bowl too many......but, when I look at yours, and then mine on my post of "Very Usual Murano Colored bowl/Astray"......I sort of see a resemblance here.  Both in the weird colors combinations, and the shapes are similar.....yours is a bit more irregular shape than mine, but the thickness seems to be similar....

Now I am just going out on a limb here as a Newbie.....but does anyone else (sort of) see the similarity of these two.....or am I just (xx) blind....

Sorry if I am wrong....but i (sort) of do..... :-\
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
I finally got around to photographing the bubbles. They are like small seed bubbles, and hard to capture. This is a funky looking pic, but hopefully you can see the bubbles and the little inclusions that are sprinkled here and there as well:

Shannon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand