No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pretty Pink Studio art glass Bowl. Any ideas?  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Pretty Pink Studio art glass Bowl. Any ideas?
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »
Just arrived in the post, bought on ebay, from Scottish seller, it appealed to me,
definitely a studio piece, hoped i may find a hidden signature, no luck though :( 
it reminded me of a Siddy Langley piece i bought for a present about 10 years ago.
8 inches across, 3 inches tall, footed base, and a polished pontil mark.
Only cost me a fiver, so im happy :D
Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Pretty Pink Studio art glass Bowl. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
Interesting in that it is colours used on Monart, so possibly Kugler colours and pre-1939, in which case not a studio piece. However, I doubt it is Monart as it looks mould blown, at least that foot - can you confirm that. The closest Monart shape is XA but that should be an applied foot.

How about WMF as a candidate?

I will be adding better images of XA to Scotland's Glass catalogue soon, I have been preparing images over the past few weeks, in the meantime just the one here http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page02.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »
Thanks Frank,
It does look similar to shape XA (just spent 20mins looking at your great piccies!)
I will try to describe how i think its put together.
I think its hand blown, not mould, its not completely round at the top, theres lots of
striations(is that right?) rings in the glass, also bubbles and some ash particles,
looking side on , the base appears clear,(about 1cm deep, so maybe applied although
cannot see or feel join) and the pontil is polished about 2 1/4" wide, almost the whole of the base.

Im hoping you may be leaning towards Monart :huh: :huh:
That would be nice, its certainly well made :D
Look forward to your opinion with anticipation
Cheers Andy 8)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
The stripes are gotten by dipping the marvered parison into a dip mould, looks a bit like an internal cog wheel, this splits the colours into stripes. Count the stripes, it is an indicator as different dip moulds had different number of teeth.

Even Monart would be ground and polished with a transparent piece.

After the dip mould the parison would be shaped and twisted to slope the stripes. It could be blown into a shape mould first too.

The foot is shaped as there is no way to include the stripes in it - or is that an optical illusion?

The foot is a continental style and the style of decorating all suggest continental to me. From France to Bohemia, with sidetrips  ::) but if it is a shape found in WMF, no idea, you can at least eliminate it by searching for WMF Ikora

Why did you think it was a modern studio piece, such a broadly polished base would be very untypical... needs a big wheel.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »
Good technical description Frank. A number of studio artists were doing stuff like this in the eighties and nineties. This looks like Kugler Zartrosa.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:03:24 PM »
Thanks Frank and Adam,
theres 18 stripes on the bowl, pattern doesnt go into foot.
Ive had a good look at some WMF Ikora, similar, but they look a bit thicker, and have stronger
patterns.
I havent handled much Monart, im sure if you held this , you could tell immediately!
It struck me it was a studio piece just by the feel and some of the little imperfections,
a couple of large bubbles at the top in one part, see photo. I hadnt thought about the polished base!
Remember , i just know a little of everything and a lot about nothing ;D

Do you think there is a poss of it being Monart??
Cheers
Andy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »
Can you do a profile shot of the base avoiding refraction of the stripes please.

18 stripes is not Monart (99% certain) see http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,10140.0.html

It has strong similarities to Monart and a coincidental similarity to shape XA but I really doubt if it is. There is one aspect of it that does not look right for Monart. My leaning is factory glass but studio is not impossible.

Imperfections are of course a Monart feature too! Despite it being an expensive glass in its day, finishing standards under Salvador were low. Post-War Paul Ysart work was a much higher standard of finish.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
Hi ,
heres a couple of photos, i think came out quite well.
Frank, thanks for your help and interest in this one :)

Regards Andy 8)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »
Hmm, foot does look applied but not made by any of the Ysart's in my view.

Needs to be handled to completely eliminate Monart, but I think it is eliminated. If you can get to see Nigel Benson, he should be able to give a good opinion.

Whatever, it is an excellent and gorgeous piece of glass.

I would be interested in Adam A's view of that foot being mould-blown or applied?

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
Applied.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand