No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pictures of my 33 pound, 15 1/2" tall John Lotton vase  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Warner

• Members
    • The Lotton Glass Collectors Club
Pictures of my 33 pound, 15 1/2" tall John Lotton vase
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
Here are two photos of the same piece of glass with different lighting.  The piece is massive, standing 15 1/2" tall and weighs 33 pounds.   Imagine feeding this monster in and out of the furnace for a couple of hours!   Talk about a workout.  I'm not sure exactly how many layers of glass there are on the piece, but there are SEVERAL.  The artist is John Lotton.  This type of work is his most desirable for certain.

Warner

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Pictures of my 33 pound, 15 1/2" tall John Lotton vase
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
Thank you for sharing this with us, Warner  :clap:
more info on John Lotton please?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Warner

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »
Thank you for sharing this with us, Warner  :clap:
more info on John Lotton please?

Pamela, John Lotton is the now-retired son of Charles Lotton.  For information on both of them you can visit the Lotton Glass Collectors Club website (that I started and run) at http://www.lottonglassclub.com    Pieces like this are THE most sought-after of all the Lotton pieces today.  I suspect that Charles's works will surpass John's works when Charles retires, but for now these John pieces are the prize.  I just turned down an offer of $6,500 on this particular piece.   They are unbelieveable works.....

Warner

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
Are these pieces signed?
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Warner

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
Are these pieces signed?

Yes, absolutely.   John's signature is very scripted and difficult to make out.  Charles and Daniel's signatures are simple and very easy to read.   David Lotton's is also very scripted and difficult to read.

Warner

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »
Thank you for showing us, Warner!  I love Lotton glass!  I've promised myself I WILL have a piece eventually.  I would be satisfied with a paperweight  ::) but your vase is simply stunning  :mrgreen:  ;)
Leni

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
"snip"  I would be satisfied with a paperweight  ::)"snip"
So would I.... 230213866057 (US ebay)
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline Warner

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »
Thank you for showing us, Warner!  I love Lotton glass!  I've promised myself I WILL have a piece eventually.  I would be satisfied with a paperweight  ::) but your vase is simply stunning  :mrgreen:  ;)

I only own one Lotton paperweight (and it's a special experimental piece by Charles) but I DO have several Daniel Lotton ornaments left that I am selling.  Not all of the ones shown are still available, but many of them are.  I have them listed on my website for $100 each (which is dealer cost on them), but if anyone here would like one I'd sell them for $75 each, plus the shipping charges.  They are nice and a reasonable way to get a piece of Lotton.  If you want to check them out, here's a link to them on my site:  http://www.lottonglassclub.com/ornaments.html  As I mentioned, some of them have sold already but there are several left if anyone is interested.   If they don't sell by the end of this month, I will probably send them off to Early Auction where we are having our club meeting this April as they sold the last two that I sent them for $175 each.

Warner

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
Thank you, Warner - beautiful website! Please excuse my bad English, but WHO is father, WHO is son? You wrote 'John now retired son of Charles' ?  :huh:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Warner

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »
Thank you, Warner - beautiful website! Please excuse my bad English, but WHO is father, WHO is son? You wrote 'John now retired son of Charles' ?  :huh:

It's a bit confusing.  Charles is the father of David (still making glass), Daniel (still making glass at the same studio as Charles), and John (no longer making glass - retired from glassblowing to persue real estate development).  Then the grandsons of Charles are as follows: Jeremiah, Joshua (both David's sons), and Timothy (Daniel's son).   Josh has taken a break from blowing glass, at least temporarily.  So the only one who no longer makes glass is John Lotton (he's about my age - early 40's).

Make sense?

Warner

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand