No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone any good at identifying English paperweights.....??  (Read 2432 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Anyone any good at identifying English paperweights.....??
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:00:06 AM »
Sorry folks, posted this in the wrong spot...

Fourth of four looks to be Clichy - I struggle with early C20 English factories - they were as bad as Vasart/Starthearn/Ysart for swapping canes it seems?

Any more knowledgable heads out there care to stick their necks out??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Anyone any good at identifying English paperweights.....??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »
Hi

As an unsuccessful bidder on this lot, I can confirm that the looped garland weight is Clichy, not Old English!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
Alan,

Did you view? I just got a condition report!! Picking the pieces up on Friday when I'm down in London!!

Wish I'd got the clichy carpet ground - slipped under Christies radar but thankfully collectors spotted it and paid a fair price to the estate.

Did lot 15 contain a "feathered" vasart item - the photo's i got sent were shocking!!!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:04:53 PM »
Hi

Sorry - I didn't view. A friend who was attending bid for me. I'm not sure whether the feathered weight was Vasart or merely unknown! I've seen similar feathering in Belgian and Alscae weights. There were some strong prices - I fancied the Clichy with several different coloured roses, but I wasn't going to pay well over £3000!

I think the Old English weights are 2 Richardson and a Walsh Walsh, but I have not had a good enough image to be certain.  If you can let me have a good image in due course I'll tell you who made them.

Regards, Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
To be honest, I only bid on lot 14 (per photo) for the clichy paperweight. Not really interested in English pieces - is that blasphemy?? I have a couple of nice English weights but the items in this lot seemed unremarkable......

Guessed that the English pieces could be sold and significantly reduce the cost of acquiring a clichy patterned millefiori on coloured ground!! It's the only way I can acquire/improve my collection at reasonable cost!!

The clichy close-packed was remarkable - blue, yellow and purple roses in there. Would imagine quite rare and a nice magnum size. 

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
I quite like old English weights  :)
Let me know when you decide to sell them please :) ?

Thanks
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »
Hi

I agree these were run of the mill OE weights, but nice examples, regardless. Two Richardson, and an "I'm not sure!".  I have several OE for sale, if anyone is interested : email agthornton@tiscali.co.uk for more info.

Alan

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
Got the items on Friday - looks to be two Richardsons - one footed. The red/white/blue weight with turquoise cog cane remains a complete mystery!!!

All three in very good nick - odd shallow 'bulls-eye' but thats all. The refractive qualities are amazing on these pieces. Although the crowns are less than 2 inches - they cram the dome of glass completely! 3 to 3.5 diameters, 2.5 high (2.75 high on the footed example).

The two non-footed examples have an almost nipple effect at the top centre of each piece. Is this something found on english paperweights? I saw something similar on a massive baccarat pansy down portobello road on saturday - almost 3.5 inches across and 3 inches high - perhaps this is something found on the original profiles on 'untouched' older items??

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »
Hi

The optical effect you describe comes in part from the shape, but also because Walsh Walsh / Arculus and Richardson used high lead content glass - around 32-33%. That gives it a higher refractive index than 24% lead glass.

A slight nipple or 'cow lick' on top is not uncommon on OE weights (and other antiques), and arises from the blocking process at manufacture when the dome is shaped.  Occasionally you get a flat spot at the centre. You often have to look hard to spot these defects though, which sometimes distort the very centre of the design. Many antique weights have been repolished of course, and so the original blocking marks and any defects tend to have been removed.

Regards

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand